'31 Dodge 6 ignition timing question

I'll apologize in advance if this has already been posted and I didn't find it in my searches!

I've managed to bugger up the timing on my '31 Dodge 6 (this '31 Dodge DH 6 - http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1931-dodge-2dr-coupe-299678.html ) while working on some oil leaks through my blissful ignorance of the fact that the oil pump drives the distributor. Long story short, I pulled the oil pump to fix a leak and altered the base ignition timing when I replaced it. Now the engine won't start...

I'm hoping that someone can share the proper method (or direct me to the existing thread) for setting the base timing.

I've noticed that folks like to see photos, here is a link to the gallery of both my '31 and '32. The '31 is a driver and the '32 is a basket case. I'm pretty excited about both and am looking forward to moving forward with them.

'31 Gallery - '31 Dodge - a set on Flickr

'32 Gallery - '32 Dodge - a set on Flickr

Many thanks in advance!

Maybe this item from the instruction book will help. Click on it a couple of times to make it larger. LOVE both of your cars. Did you get the rest of the parts with that car? Fenders and bumpers? I need front fenders and bumper parts. John.

post-37352-143139085313_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks John, I think this will help but to clarify, the timing chain didn't get moved so the valve to crank timing should remain intact. Using this I can find TDC for 1 and 6 and then alter the position of the oil pump until the rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug wire position in the cap. Does that sound correct to you?

On the additional parts, I got everything with the '31 and the '32 is complete. I also have some extra parts for the '31 but won't know for a while which of them I'm going to keep and which I'll pass on. I won't have fenders as I'll be using them but I may have bumper parts and others. I have an extra set of fenders for a '31 sedan that I'll likely be offering at some point, though not just yet. I'll keep you posted though as I know these are not easy to find.

Thanks John, I think this will help but to clarify, the timing chain didn't get moved so the valve to crank timing should remain intact. Using this I can find TDC for 1 and 6 and then alter the position of the oil pump until the rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug wire position in the cap. Does that sound correct to you?

That sounds like it will work. Thanks for the answer on the parts.

Just find compression TDC ( or close) on #1. Then look at where the rotor is pointing and start there with #1 plug wire. The distributor doesnt care where you start the firing order. Not familiar with the engine but there should be a way to finish time with a timing light and a 12 volt battery to run it.