13 hours ago, alini said:

Then its back to the machine shop, they will mate the rods and pistons for me and balance the crank. 

Remember, the "Nail" is externally balanced.  The balancer and flexplate are part of the reciprocating assembly.  And, there are six ways to bolt the flexplate to the crank but only one way is correct.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

After about three weeks at the machine shop due to parts delays mostly  we now have the engine and parts back.  Replacement block bored .030 over with standard crank.   Balanced with a new harmonic balancer.   Assembly starts tomorrow.   I'm estimating two weeks to have to back ready to start

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I am glad I notice the update to this post as I am getting ready to fire up the new engine. Never heard anyone mention that these engines are externally balanced. How does one go about getting this done?

I take it this is something I am going to need a machine shop to do?

1 hour ago, coOverwatch said:

I am glad I notice the update to this post as I am getting ready to fire up the new engine. Never heard anyone mention that these engines are externally balanced. How does one go about getting this done?

I take it this is something I am going to need a machine shop to do?

What this means is that when the  crank is balanced at the machine shop the flywheel and flexplate must be bolted to the crank during the balancing procedure

The machine shop will bolt the flex plate and balancer to the crank shaft and spin the assembly balancing it together.   They will drill out some material from the counterweights to make it lighter in some spots and in others they will drill out a spot and insert some tungsten slugs in the holes to add weight (tungsten is heavier than the steel of the crank)

If all the parts are factory original and uncut you dont need to worry about balancing, but if its a different flex plate or dampner or you dont know...get it balanced.

Thanks for the responses...kind of figured I would have to find a shop to do it. now the search is on for someone in the Denver metro area to get it done.

Spent an hour last night and got he crank and cam installed.  Spent 4 hours today, timing cover, balancer, pistons, oil pump and pan all installed.   Slowly getting there.  It was 105 in the garage today.

For the record, I found a good way of torqueing the crank balancer.....I installed the crank, cam, chain and cover.  I grabbed a 2x3 and wedged it between the counterweights and engine block wall.  The wood was soft enough it didnt score the metal but firm enough to hold it so I could get it torqued.  Doing the old screw driver on the flexplate teeth wasnt enough.

Im still trying, should be done soon and out of everyones hair ;) ....I have the engine assembled, I installed it Saturday back in the car.  Ive spent a few hours each day since putting the other stuff back in and hooking it up.  Not much more left, I may get to start her again this weekend but the summer heat has arrived and my motivation is slipped.  I need to be in the right mind to turn the key to make sure I dont miss something and ensure its all right, so I may put the starting off a bit.

Edited by alini (see edit history)
  • Like 1