38 Century - fender mount

Guest RonJar

Guest RonJar

Hi, I've tried to attach a picture of the mechanism I have on my 1938 Century to hold the side mount spare in place.

How is this apparatus used? Is something missing from the mechanism? Sheesh, looks like I need a bigger picture!!!

Thanks, RonJ

post-81463-143139082957_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

You're missing a round piece that the threaded arm goes through when the wheel is in place, I think. It's what holds the wheel in place. It has a hole on an angle to match the angle of the threaded rod/arm.

Cheers

Grant

Hi,

Do a search on this forum. I recall a series of threads showing the original part and a home-shop made functional equivalent.

Just curious--do you have the key-operated locks that go over the nuts that secure the tire into the bracket?

--Tom

Guest RonJar

No, I don't have the locks. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the lock used on the spare tire on the back of my 1930 Durant would do the job. I imagine they were aftermarket.

I did rig up a simple bracket that the threaded rod fits through, it seems to be doing the job. I'll have to watch for the correct piece.

Thanks for the replies lads!!!!

Guest Grant Magrath

If you search, there are several threads on sidemounts here. Custom Carriage made the hardware that we bought in the mid 2000's. If you could track them down, life would get easier!

Cheers

Grant

Guest KeithElwell

I have a 1936 Buick Model 46 Coupe and I have one each of two different sized "washers" that the pivoting threaded rod goes thru after it passes thru the center hole of the sidemounted wheel. The smaller of the two washers that I have fits comfortably into the center hole of my 16" wheels. The larger of the two washers has a larger portion that measures 3.13" diameter and will not fit into my wheels so I theorize that if fits the larger series cars for 1936 and probably up thru 1938 but I cannot confirm this. I have no need for this larger washer but I am in the market for another one of the small washers. I have pieced together a complete left sidemount fender set up and some of the pieces for the right side. So another small washer would be needed for that side. Anyway, if RonJar wants to contact be off-forum about the large washer I will do him right.

post-43647-143139086682_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143139086704_thumb.jpg

post-43647-143139086719_thumb.jpg

Guest KeithElwell

Sorry, I posted in text that the large washer is 3.13" diameter but it is actually 3.31" (3-5/16") diameter as I have it marked in felt tip marker on the part in the photo.

Guest KeithElwell

Hey Barney,

Can you post a similar view from the parts book for a 1936 Buick sidemount set up? Mine's a 40 series so the hardware may be / should be different from other series. But that's what I'm interested in.

No, I don't have the locks. From pictures I've seen, it looks like the lock used on the spare tire on the back of my 1930 Durant would do the job. I imagine they were aftermarket.

Hi,

It appears from the diagram that the tire locks were a Buick part and presumably came with the sidemount option. I have found that equivalent modern locks are readily available on Ebay.

--Tom

Guest Grant Magrath

Right! Finally got the details of the guy that made sidemount hardware.

John Maier

1113 E 240 North Anderson

IN 46012

765 642 3094

Cheers

Grant

Attached is a parts book copy that shows all the parts.........
Can you post a similar view from the parts book for a 1936 Buick sidemount set up? Mine's a 40 series so the hardware may be / should be different from other series. But that's what I'm interested in.
That image is all that in the 1928-41 parts book. They only list the part numbers for other years. Usally the group number is same followed by a part numbers, which may or may not change from year to year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RonJar
I have a 1936 Buick Model 46 Coupe and I have one each of two different sized "washers" that the pivoting threaded rod goes thru after it passes thru the center hole of the sidemounted wheel. The smaller of the two washers that I have fits comfortably into the center hole of my 16" wheels. The larger of the two washers has a larger portion that measures 3.13" diameter and will not fit into my wheels so I theorize that if fits the larger series cars for 1936 and probably up thru 1938 but I cannot confirm this. I have no need for this larger washer but I am in the market for another one of the small washers. I have pieced together a complete left sidemount fender set up and some of the pieces for the right side. So another small washer would be needed for that side. Anyway, if RonJar wants to contact be off-forum about the large washer I will do him right.

After contacting Keith, he sold and delivered to me this unit. Many thanks Keith, you're a gentleman to deal with!!

RonJ