Rear Axle Nut Torque specs

Guest KyleMiller

Guest KyleMiller

I have a 1932 Dodge. I need to know the torque specs for the rear axle nut. I have a Motors manual for 1935 that says the 1935 Dodge should have no less than 142 ftlbs. My Chilton's Flat rate manual for 1935 says the 1932 and 1935 Dodge could have the same rear end. Can anyone verify this for me? Either the torque spec, or that the 32 and 35 have the same rear end. Thanks, Kyle

I ran into that on my '33 Plymouth. At least on Plymouth the '33 to '35 rear ends are basically the same while a major redesign happened in '36. Wouldn't be surprised to find Dodge was the same. Turns out the part number for the nut on the rear axle is the same on Plymouth for '28 through at least '48 and the torque on the later models is specified at 142 ft-lbs. I assumed that if the nut is the same the torque should be the same so that's what I've used for my car.

Guest KyleMiller

Thanks. I made that assumption and checked the to make sure the bearings still rolled well, and all is good. I actually bumped it up to 150 ft-lbs and went to the next hole, since the info I have said 142 ft-lbs MINIMUM, and all the Chevy and Ford lit says 200-300 ft-lbs.

Guest jenny13

The center one? Well, lets say I use a 4 foot pipe on my ratchet and hop on the end of the pipe. Sometimes the half inch drive breaks(I should use 3/4 drive) I just make it mother tight.

It is 216 ft lbs.