Sign in to follow this  
38Buick 80C

BCA 2012-2013 Officers

Guest BJM

I appreciate Willis' comments. (And others, including Bill's) Willis is - in my opinion - taking a stance somewhat opposite of mine and in support of some of the direction of the BOD. I am fine with criticism of my (usually) extreme positions. It clarifies my intent and perhaps the intent of the silent majority.

But there's no conspiracy. Brian D was voted off as President against the desires of the club members in a specific action in a specific opportunity unique to the structure of the BCA by-laws. Regrettable, but entirely factual.

While Bill's experience as Treasurer is surely a positive, as is the Books increasing knowledge of National Meet selection processes, I just disagree with Willis that the experience is unique.

The bottom line is so far only one BOD member has responded. Bill stated he did not have anything to do with the outcome. I take that as meaning he did not vote on the selection of President.

I have received PM's from some on the BOD and the total then is close to being that which would keep Brian as President. They felt a PM was the best way to answer to this issue, which speaks volumes. What does it say about a club when the President and BOD's can't simply come on a forum and answer to the inquiry.

And it doesn't have to be in a tone of anger. I respect Bill for simply stating he doesn't give a damn what I think, but he doesn't go on to call me names or threaten to serve me with papers from the BCA attorney. As one of the most tenured members on the BOD, with vast business knolwedge and acumen, I wish Bill would have provided more insight into what happened and why.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Keith

Please leave it alone. If Brian has enough class to not point blame, wealso should not. Something you can do: contact the board members and find out what their position is/was on this matter or any matter you are interested in. If their position does not match yours, don't reward them with a second term on the board.

Willie

Hey Willie,

Did the same BOD members that "voted" to re-elect Rick Young ("the Iowa weatherman" per somebody else's previous post during his first term) as President, elect you as the secret policeman of this Forum?

Respect everybody's comment whether you agree or disagree. Amen.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Y'ALL. This commentary is needed. But unless we keep our comments non sarcastic, truthful and based on fact ,objective and to the point, somebody is going to say "something" that is gonna get this post pulled. Please consider that before commenting. Just sayin.....

Guest BJM
Y'ALL. This commentary is needed. But unless we keep our comments non sarcastic, truthful and based on fact ,objective and to the point, somebody is going to say "something" that is gonna get this post pulled. Please consider that before commenting. Just sayin.....
100% agree. I edited and continue to edit. Rick Young, Mike Book and Bill Stoneberg have done so much for the club, period. That - is not in dispute!

One over-riding theme from all the PM's and emails I have received is that the National BOD meeting is so lightly attended. I have been to 4 Nationals and attended all the BOD meetings and can tell you that few attend.

I would recommend that for 2013 and beyond, that the BOD meeting be allowed a stand alone time not to compete with other meetings and events and that it be given a prominent BOLD notice in the handouts for registered guests. Then attend the meeting. Let's get 100-200 for the next annual BOD meeting and ASK questions.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Best I understand, the open BOD time is set in enough time to work around the schedule. It was 8 AM -Noon on Friday and conflicted with only one tour, so I am not sure what cobflict there may have been on the schedule. I belive that there is always an executive session that is not open to the full membership. So, there is not much for excuses for not attending the open session.

Personally I usually attend, but was mostly manning the PWD table trying to recruit new members. I consider that time well spent as we gatherrd 20+ new despite not having an after-tour this year, However, it looks like I should have attended the open session. When I walked by the doorway near the end, I think there only 4-5 non BOD in attendence, and they were probably presenting a section of the program. So, please if anyone is interested, please attend, and please vote next year.

John

I respect BJM's comments and orientations.

While I might not like "conspiracy theories", regular theories are just fine. Regular theories can usually be proven or disproven. Not to forget "gut suspicions" in that mix!

I might believe that certain car club groups' (national, local, or regional in nature) officer positions need to have a certain amount of stability, measured in "years". One of those is Treasurer. Other officers might come and go, or rotate among themselves, as desired. I've seen several clubs which do this, keeping a central core group as officers, though, which can lead to a unique set of problems and issues as time progresses.

Who the entity's Treasurer is can mean where the entity's bank is located. It can be "a pain" to change banks AND to find another bank that has the same programs and types of accounts which are needed for an entity like the BCA. Building a relationship with a bank by a consistent Treasurer can be a very good thing to do, too. Not unlike the similar relationships we might build with other people in our lives . . . even an automobile sales/service/parts organization, a particular dry cleaning shop, or a tailor. "WE know them, THEY know US".

Stability is good, but "status quo" is not good in the long term, by observation. Things change and must be adapted to if the organization is to grow and progress. Too much "status quo" can eventually lead to "mediocrity" and disinterest by the membership. Being in the car business, you have to continually adapt to things every year, or part thereof, with new models and such. Keeping the status quo can mean you get left behind, especially with product knowledge, even if you might not really like the new model's changes.

Also, in the normal course of business, there will be some things which don't play out "as desired", so reflecting to determine what went wrong, how it went wrong, and what might be done to keep this from happening in the future MUST be considered. "Continuous improvement" combined with "advance damage control". I consider the former to mean that "you're always considering how to make things work better" with the latter meaning "if you see something's not going to work, you stop and consider other options such that the chance of failure is greatly diminished . . . one door closes, three other possibilities present themselves for consideration".

Stability with continuous improvement would mean that you're always climbing the learning curve, in one way or another. Many of these "school of hard knocks" things might be put in a book, but unless those reading it understand and "buy into" what they're reading, it can all be a waste of time to try to educate and inform the reader such that prior mistakes are not re-made by the reader later on. By observation, continually putting different faces in the same spots will usually result in the same mistakes being made in the same situations time and time again, just by different "generations" of employees.

Mentoring has seemed to become a lost art AND a "dirty word" as it implies that somebody might get paranoid as they might not know some of these things. Yet, cross-training with effective mentoring can be a good situation AND an orientation which can elevate everybody in the process. Spreading the knowledge can be a good thing as MORE people then know what's going on and why. Increased knowledge of operations can also result in increased trust of management and of those in positions of authority.

BJM mentioned the receipt of PMs on particular subjects. I'm glad he has received those responses, privately.

This whole situation has resulted in some previously not-worried-about functions of the BCA BOD being highlighted for all to see . . . or at least those in this forum. In the orientation of continuous improvement, perhaps a new BCA Policy and Proceedure can be formulated to deal with who might become the BCA BOD President and/or V-Pres in the future? Perhaps, IF the top vote-getter is automatically deemed to be BCA BOD President and second-highest-vote number designating the Vice-President, it might motivate MORE BCA members to vote to ensure the desired person is placed in these positions? Might this be one way to encourage more BCA members to vote in these elections? If the BCA BOD decides to let the BCA Treasurer be a former BCA BOD member who transitions into an appointed position as Board Advisor/Mentor, as long as the results justify it, make it so.

Hopefully, we can make some mighty fine lemonade from these lemons!

Respectfully, as a free-standing current BCA member,

Willis Bell 20811

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks
I This whole situation has resulted in some previously not-worried-about functions of the BCA BOD being highlighted for all to see . . . or at least those in this forum. In the orientation of continuous improvement, perhaps a new BCA Policy and Proceedure can be formulated to deal with who might become the BCA BOD President and/or V-Pres in the future? Perhaps, IF the top vote-getter is automatically deemed to be BCA BOD President and second-highest-vote number designating the Vice-President, it might motivate MORE BCA members to vote to ensure the desired person is placed in these positions? Might this be one way to encourage more BCA members to vote in these elections? If the BCA BOD decides to let the BCA Treasurer be a former BCA BOD member who transitions into an appointed position as Board Advisor/Mentor, as long as the results justify it, make it so.

Hopefully, we can make some mighty fine lemonade from these lemons!

Respectfully, as a free-standing current BCA member,

Willis Bell 20811

That might work, but you often have members of the board that would have no desire to be in the more active role of President, so if you would automatically make the high vote getter President, you could end up with someone that is not really into the role, or you may even have less candidates running because they wouldn't want to take on that role if high vote getter.

Guest BJM
You proved that fact with that comment.

Tell you what, I will edit my comment when you edit yours. Think about it.

No need to edit yours, you are correct, my comment was in poor taste and has been deleted.

Can someone point this dummy to where the By-Laws can be found. Couldn't find them on the BCA Website (but that doesn't mean they're not there)

Check your latest copy of The BCA Roster for that information.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Yes, The SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) are in the back of the Roster. A new one coming this summer.

As to the Topic at hand;

I am old enough to know and accept that not everyone in this world is love with Rick Young.

Most of you I have met over the past 7 years. Some have been to my hometown and a few have dined in my garage. If you brought a Reatta to Jewell in 2010 I personally bought your dinner (at $752.00) as The Reattas won my President's Challenge for membership.

To most of you, I consider you friends and some it seems I've known for 50 years, although how could that be.

I think for those who have met me you would know I am not a vindictive person.

I chose to run for President one last time because this old fart has one more year of giving.

I have no plans to put the BCA on "pause" for the next year.

This old fart has a few more ideas to help the BCA and my friends in it.

Brian has done a awesome job and he will be around a long time. He has done so much, as recognized here.

This will be my "Swan Song" as I have other challenges to face in the near future.

There are bridges and fences to be repaired. I plan on traveling to work on those in person.

So indulge me if you will for one last year. Together we can accomplish much.

There is a new beginning in the BCA now running National Meets. There will be a few bugs to be worked out, but in the end the BCA will be better and stronger for that.

I just visited the Oldsmobile Club National in Des Moines where they had a "all indoor" meet.

The temp outside was 100F and 72F inside. A interesting concept.

So anyway, I hope that clears some air.

Regards to you all

Thanks for your comments, Rick!

How large was the OCA meet compared to a "normal" BCA national meet? What sort of facility did they have to host this indoor meet? Just curious.

Thanks,

NTX5467

I would like to indulge for just a few min. First after working with both Brian and Rick on the board this past year I have total respect in both of them. While I did not have a vote along with Bill and Paul in the election of President of the BCA I can assure you that it would have been a very hard decision. Brian just completed a super National in Charlotte with out a hitch and as a Reatta owner Rick did the National in Ames Ia with the same professional skills. The bottom line to me is we should spend time in thanking both of them for giviing up their time that could have been spent on quality time with their families but they chose to give freely to the Buick Club of America. Before we cast any more stones, take a few min and appreciate what both men have done. Yes there always changes that need to happen in any club, but how many are willing to put forward the effort to get it done. Changes will come only when others are willing to step up and run for office and vote. Our board is elected by the membership to make the decisions that is being questioned in the above post. The board voted.

Thats the way it is for this next year, so thanks Brian and Rick for a job well done. I for one wish you and the entire board continued success.

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

I, too, am disappointed that Brian was not re-elected president. I thought he was doing a great job. However, if club members are unhappy ith the Board, then they need to vote for different candidates in the next election.

Well I've been keeping quiet and reading the posts, but I have to get my feelings out. I'll be more open in saying yes I am upset in not being re-elected, I'm pretty bummed about it actually. In the past, yes, there have been numerous back room deals made for who will be what officer and who WON'T. I was approached one week after I was elected three years ago about one. This year I did not speak to a single BOD member about my desire to run again for President. Personally I was tired of the back room deals and people on and off the BOD trying to influence who will become what. I wanted to run on the merits of my accomplishments alone combined with the results of the election and the feedback the BOD received from the Chapter, Region and Division directors just before the BOD meeting. Here is a list of those accomplishments:

Improved relations with Buick-GMC from virtually nonexistent to partnering on several occasions

Buick-GMC’s VP of Sales and Service joined the BCA

Buick-GMC supplied B Magazines (Buick Owners magazine) to all BCA members

Buick-GMC added Buick Club of America to their “Likes” section on Buick’s facebook page

Went from having two years of non-competitive elections for Board of Directors due to lack of interest to recruiting 7 candidates to compete for 3 spots in this year’s election for BCA BOD.

Updated and corrected the BCA chapter, region and directors list and implemented an email distribution list to quickly communication with the directors on important issues.

Increased renewal rate from 79% to 89% on average for the fiscal year (11 month total as June date is not yet available).

Had a 6% increase in new membership over the previous year’s new member total.

Created, via chapter director surveys, a list of chapter membership attraction best practices and distributed the compiled ideas back to the chapter region and division directors for their use.

Got the BCA free media coverage on Hot Rod Magazine Radio Live, Autotrends Magazine and other media locations. As well as ensuring the BCA

and Buicks were the featured at 2012 Spring Charlotte Autofair, an event attended by over 100,000 people.

Advanced several cooperation initiatives with the GSCA, the BPG, the AACA and the CCCA. Talked frequently with Presidents and Exec Directors of the previously mentioned clubs as well as VCCA and OCA.

Through my ideas I helped the Buick Heritage Alliance raise $2500 at the 2012 BCA National meet and gave them the opportunity to do a silent auction at the meet to raise another $3K

Won the 2010 Gerstkemper Award for attracting the most new members and gave the $500 I won back to the BCA in the form of buying 10 memberships which were given to chapters and division to give away free.

I also made it my mission to try and respond to every individual sent a letter or email or phoned, because I am a firm believer in the golden rule and treating people the way I want to be treated. Also there were several people who had really really bad experience with the BCA in the past and recieved NO response from anyone at the time. Once I became aware of their situation and because of how I treated them and reacted to their displeasure with the BCA they rejoined the BCA, even though I never suggested they do so.

I note these not because I am looking for praise or ego stroking, but because the membership needs to know that apparently a majority of the BOD members feel that Rick can do better than that. As Willie noted you'll have to talk to each BOD member and ask them why they they voted the way they did. Like Rick I could care less about if people like me or not, I am secure in knowing I have numerous Buick friends who are friends for life. What I do care about is what is in the best interests of the Buick Club of America and its membership. I ran for BOD and ran for President to help guide the BCA in a manner I thought best for the long term viability of this club and will continue to do so.

If this situation is what spurs the membership to get involved, than that is awesome and will be good for the club long term, so perhaps this is a blessing for the BCA.

As Rick notes I'll be around for a "long time"... at 32, yes I sure hope I will be due to a healthly long life, but I have already have been around for long time. I actually have known people in this club for nearly 30 years, going to my first BCA National in 1983 and 25 overall. Per the By-laws for serving as President I am now a life member of the BCA, so I'm certainly not going anywhere.

So now that I have cleared the air on my side, I will most likely not be responding publically because we need to move on. All are welcome to PM, email or call if they want to discuss further, but I don't know that there is much else to say on the matter.

The fact that you personally took an interest and the time to routinely contact Lamar and myself about the 54 numbers for Charlotte while also actively interacting on the Enclave and many other Buick forums said it all for me...the rest when you add it up equals a hell of a job.

Class act!

The fact that you personally took an interest and the time to routinely contact Lamar and myself about the 54 numbers for Charlotte while also actively interacting on the Enclave and many other Buick forums said it all for me...the rest when you add it up equals a hell of a job.

Class act!

I agree, very much a class act.

Ben

I am old enough to know and accept that not everyone in this world is love with Rick Young.

Rick, I think I will speak for many when I say it is not a matter of your winning the BOD vote, but rather that Brian did not. (If that makes any kind of sense) When I first heard the news that Brian was not reelected I was dumbfounded. But when I heard Rick Young had won, my first thought was, "Well thank God, we'll be OK". What I'm trying to get across is please don't take all the above comments personally and as a negative reflection as to how individuals feel about you. I and apparently lots of other folks felt that Brian had done a magnificent job this last year, were assuming and looking forward to that continuing next year, and were surprised when the Board decided otherwise. If I have a bone to pick with anybody it is with the BOD, not you. You did an outstanding job when you were president, stepping to the plate when no one else did, to make the 2010 Nationals a reality.You brought fun and excitement onto the playing field. Hopefully new ideas as to how things might be changed for the better will be presented and you will lend an ear. I personally hope to see more of the membership coming here to the forum and it being a better conduit for communication over the next few years.

Again, please know that while maybe "not everyone in this world is in love with Rick Young" you still have lots of good friends here and I consider myself one of them.

Buick on my friend, Buick on......

I agree, very much a class act.

A "doer" if there ever was one. The Italian Stallion of the BCA. Brian, thanks for the post of your accomplishments, so much was done behind the scenes, I don't think many knew. And since you never toot your own horn how were we to know. This will be my last comment regarding the subject. Thanks for your hard work and dedication Brian, you will be missed.

I have read , and reread this and all I have to say is " anyone that questions why I am leaving the BCA ,read this forum "" Brian was trying to bring the BCA back to what it was , and I am glad I am old as I can't see too well ,and the club is going down the tubes. The emphasis is all on judging, and they judge Buicks to a quality that NEVER came from the factory. Buicks NEVER came off the assembly line with perfect paint and and door fits, but the judges think so. I DROVE a Buick to every BCA National meet from 1971 until 2009 ,and watched the BCA change from a group of people that enjoyed Buicks , to a club that bowed down to the wealthy members that "BOUGHT" their trailer Queens ,and wanted recognition.

Good Luck , and GOOD BYE

It is just a thought , but did anyone ever think of the early meets, when the different chapters put them on ??I remember in 1971 whan there wasn't even a "Buicktown " chapter and the Buick owners from the AACA helped do the first "National' Everyone DROVE in from alll over the country and just had a GREAT time . There was no problem finding people that would put on the next meet ,and the Buicks that showed up were enjoyed by all.

It seems that now ,a lot of the cars to be judged do not even come out of their trailers until Saturday. Now the BOD has taken over and I really do wish them luck, but you are fighting a stacked deck , as the members that did the work are not the members that own the "Trailer Queens"

I hope this doe not kill this , but members need to go back to basics, and just enjoy their Buicks as CARS . I drive my 40 convertible eveyday that the sun shines, as it is just a great way to get around town. I have put over 112,000 miles on it and have enjoyed every one.

Edited by The Old Guy (see edit history)

Just finished reading all posts and wow was that ever interesting and a bit surprising to say the least. I know I'm not actively involved in BCA but do try to stay up on happenings through the Bugle and this Forum so my response is based soley on that. I have no inside connections or sources to BCA.

Since Brian became President, I was continuously impressed by his communication skills and and professionalism reaching out to many in efforts to restore some positive enthusiasm to BCA. I don't ever recall seeing so much interaction with the community directly from the president. Excellent communication is a key factor in any organization and I think Brian gets an A+ for that as well as his understanding of good business practices. My view from the fence is that Brian was doing an outstanding job and I thank him for that.

I have no problem with changing of officers as long as its for the right reason and egos and politics are put aside and I want to believe thats the case, however after reading this there does seem to be some uncertainty.

I think a detailed and truthful explanation should be presented in the next Bugle on why the change. BCA members deserve to know and so few on are this forum.

I too was disappointed by the recent election but I hope that Brian keeps his dedication to the BCA strong. For those of you who did not make the 2012 National it was a great meet except for the heat. I knew well before this National that Brian had accomplished a lot but was not aware of all that he had done and was glad that he listed them on this thread. I also knew that his communication skills were great because of a very quick response to a few emails to him. My personal opinion is that the older we get the more we dislike change but change is what is needed to keep an organization such as ours strong and alive. I believe that as we go forward you will see more modified cars because the only way you will attract the younger generation, that is mostly building the "Tuner" cars, is to allow more of the modified cars and no I am not talking about something like a Ford with a Cadillac engine like one who wanted to attend a recent BOPC show here in Atlanta.

I appreciated Joe's (The Old Guy) comments about how these classics looked when they came off the assembly line. I had ordered a 1967 442 Olds and the factory pin stripping looked like it had been painted on by a 5 year old. And, the lump under the carpet turned out to be a paper "Zero Defects" coffee cup.

The bottom line is that we all need to be involved with the direction of this club. I wish Rick Young the best in the year to come but if you are not happy with the election then let the BOD know.

:cool:Our Buicktown Director does this with his '04 Regal GS and "The Old Guy" does it too.

post-30793-143139091408_thumb.jpg

post-30793-143139091411_thumb.jpg

post-30793-143139091434_thumb.jpg

I too was disappointed by the recent election but I hope that Brian keeps his dedication to the BCA strong. For those of you who did not make the 2012 National it was a great meet except for the heat. I knew well before this National that Brian had accomplished a lot but was not aware of all that he had done and was glad that he listed them on this thread.....

X 2.

Everybody's got short memories. It would be interesting to see a bucket list . . . . . similar to Brian's post #41 above . . . . . from Rick Young to refresh everybody's memory on his accomplishments during his first term as President starting in 2009.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

"Don't tell me what you're going to do, show me what you've done" (Author not known.)

Edited by 1953mack
corrected 2008 to 2009. BCA Roster is incorrect. (see edit history)