Greetings!

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

Hey guys, I am a 19 year old college student, I have wanted a Reatta my whole life and just put the first payment on a red 1990 hardtop. I put $325 down and have 3 more payments of $250 on it. I bring it home in a few weeks, I am so excited to restore this car! It needs work, it's rough around the edges. There's a patch of rust in front of both back wheels about the size of half a post it note, mainly just surface rust otherwise. It runs all right, shifts quite firmly, and starts OK. No check engine codes. It really needs a fluid flush, new tires, some small interior parts, a tuneup, and paint. The dash electronics are all solid, the headlights work flawlessly, and it drives with no noise other than the junk muffler. It definitely needs a detailing and tuneup/maintenance, but this isn't my first project and I know what to expect. I am really excited to get this car road ready again. I am hoping to plate it in the end of August and drive it for a few months to work out the little mechanical gremlins. Hope to have some good times around the forums with you all over the next few years of this resto.

Welcome to the asylum, uh, I mean club. Good to have another new owner on board here. Sounds like you will have plenty to keep you busy, but there is a wealth of knowledge and willingness to assist on the part of users of this forum to help you along. I would be most concerned with the rust you mentioned. These things can grow quickly and get out of control, so at a minimum you might find a way to stabilize the areas that are rusting as quickly as possible. Everything else can be addressed in due time, as long as the car runs ok.

Check for standing water in lower rocker panels at the pinch weld between the rear wheel well and front door opening on both sides. The pressure vent louver on the rearward door pillar can be removed and you get a hand (unless yours are very large) down into the area between the inner and outer body sheet metal. If you feel water down inside there, that is most likely the cause of the rust formation, starting from the inside and working its way out.

There are rust converting primers that can be sprayed on the affected areas to neutralize the rust (after removing any loose material) and help inhibit it's further spread. Still sounds like some body repair will be in order eventually though. In any case, keep us informed of your progress.

KDirk