Dustless Blasting

Guest Mochet

Guest Mochet

Saw this in Hemmings. It looks like a good idea: media blasting without the dust. It's done with a mixture of recylcled bottle glass, water and rust inhibitor, powered by a big contractor's compressor. I have no connection with them, but it looks like a good idea. Here's the video:

The only thing they don't mention on their web page is the cost.

Phil

Edited by Mochet (see edit history)

Guest slyhog022056

$5000 for the smallest unit... Blew my mind when i got a reply back from them...... $1000 plus or minus i could justify, but 5 grand......:confused:

Guest Mochet

Plus, a 185 cfm compressor costs about $125/day. Couldn't justify the purchase cost, but sounds like a good business idea.

Does anyone own this setup?

Phil

Guest Mochet

Removes rust, according to their literature. I'd say it would blast off body filler without much trouble.

Phil

That look very neat, however, it also looks like the 'demo' car was freshly (and poorly) painted (even the door handles were red). If that car was already blasted and then painted with a cheap paint, then my home pressure washer might take the paint off. Do they have a video where they take a 50 year old rust bucket and strip that??

Then you have to consider that if you run a diesel compressor, you have to fill it up before you return it to the rental place. I also noticed the fresh red paint on the tires and door handles. Want me to consider something......show a real junkyard car, hard core rust and paint removal and then show the end result. Matt

Guest slyhog022056
That look very neat, however, it also looks like the 'demo' car was freshly (and poorly) painted (even the door handles were red). If that car was already blasted and then painted with a cheap paint, then my home pressure washer might take the paint off. Do they have a video where they take a 50 year old rust bucket and strip that??

they have a few videos of them stripping rusty pipe valves and other things. It is basically a glass bead blaster using high pressure to carry the glass medium. I think i will stick to my blasting with coal slag, i can blast an entire car with 150 lbs of it and a cost of $35 for 100 lb bag. I agree the demo car looked like a plain old enamel paint job with only a week of weathering on it. We have a dry ice blaster at work that can do that and strip rust too.

OK, you have my attention now.

Take a look at this $109 pressure washer attachment.

General Pump DWSDBTK - Professional 5500 PSI Sand Blast Kit

I used a less professional unit to wet sandblast using a pressure washer in the 80's. No dust. No respirators and really nice on these 100 degree days to play in the cold water.

I would want to check out the rust inhibitor they used in the video.

Guest slyhog022056

took a look at the general pump setup and at around $100 i would be willing to try that. they even have a $69 setup to suction right out of the bag. I have a big pressure washer and have wondered how to make it useful in that way because sometimes pinpoint water pressure dont always get it done. they can definetly count on me buying that one as soon as i get to that point.

Here is a youtube video of someone using a home pressure washer and inexpensive sandblasting attachment to remove paint and rust from a dump truck bed. The heavy rust removal starts about half way through the video.

I will let you decide for yourself, but this looks like a successful DIY project to me.

Guest slyhog022056
Here is a youtube video of someone using a home pressure washer and inexpensive sandblasting attachment to remove paint and rust from a dump truck bed. The heavy rust removal starts about half way through the video.

The only problem i see with this one is that he is blasting directly at 3/16 to 1/4 steel plate, wonder if it would warp body panels or blow right thru them straight on like that?? Other than that pretty much the same thing as the one above for around $110. Makes me wonder, i have a pressure washer and sandblasting setup like that ...hmmmmmmm 1+1 does equal 1 awesome blasting setup i think.......

Slyhog,

If you watch some of the other videos, notice that the experienced operators hold the wand at an angle rather than straight on to the surface. I imagine this would be especially important with thin metals. Also, the warping that people associate with sandblasting, I have been told, is from the heat of the abrasion by sand. The cold water would seem to prevent that?

Dwight

Guest Jen_

very interesting , i do so hate the sandblasting and how much of a mess it makes . this to makes so much better sense

Jen

Guest slyhog022056
Slyhog,

If you watch some of the other videos, notice that the experienced operators hold the wand at an angle rather than straight on to the surface. I imagine this would be especially important with thin metals. Also, the warping that people associate with sandblasting, I have been told, is from the heat of the abrasion by sand. The cold water would seem to prevent that?

I know that but actually i didnt see the others, i know from my past experience the heat from the sand causes the warpage. iWe have a dry ice blaster at work that can definetly warp body panels. i found out the hard way. I even blasted at an angle trying to prevent it from happening. It did, i am sorry and i spent lots of hours priming and block sanding. I do know i will be ordering one of the attachments to go on my pressure washer. I have a 15 ton jack that can raise one side of the car up too 30" if i want and get it done in the drive way... hehe come on code enforcement guy.......

• 1 year later...
Guest hectoblast

Hi, I have been using one of these machines for about a year and I agree the videos are a little lets say "Hollywood". The machine works really well but like everything you have to know how to use it and some areas can be tough. Undercoating and curved surfaces are tough but can be done and leave a really nice finish. I have not seen any warping on panels but like I said you have to know what you are doing, you can warp a panel if you get way too aggressive. I can say that every client I have had was impressed and very happy with the end result. The bonus of having someone come to your location and being able to watch the process is worth it.

Like any blasting it does make a small mess, I use recycled bottle glass and it has to go somewhere. I put plastic down and catch 80%, the rest can washed or swept up. But no "dust" is generated I recommend checking it out, you can find a lot of them advertising on Craigs...good luck and enjoy the ride!

HectoBlast

SOCAL

• 1 year later...

I happen to own a Mobile Dustless Media Blasting business in Georgia.   I can offer advice on dustless blasting (good and bad).  i can try to address some of the issues on this thread.  

First of all , blasting with crushed glass and water is a very effective way of removing paint.  It's an efficient tool and does remove it in a reasonable amount of time.  I can strip the paint off the exterior of a car in about 4-6 hours, depending on several factors.  The metal is clean and ready for primer when i'm done.

Second, you can warp large panels if you do not know what you are doing.  Not by heat, but by the water pressure.  If the operator knows what he is doing you should not have any problems.  The blaster can strip paint off of any metal, fiberglass, masonry, and wood.  Are there jobs that are not ideal for the dustless blaster?  I turned down a brick renovation project one time after determining the brick to be old and fragile.  It was to much of a liability.  Boats are a portion of my total work load.

Third, the start up cost is significant.  A start up rig on average is between $50K - $60K for the brand I run.  It's probably not for the weekend warrior.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.   Ron 770-276-0893  /   www.uglyblaster.com   /  ron@uglyblaster.com

post-154844-0-06837800-1443121907_thumb.

Edited by Ron M (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Guest harmonpa

You can also get into dustless blasting with a basic dry blast pot and a water injection nozzle or rent all the equipment at a local yard.  If looking to strictly use it for cars soda blasting will not have issues altering the surface but is dusty.  If considering dustless blasting as a business I would review this guide to understand what should be known prior to starting.

On 6/30/2012 at 9:56 PM, slyhog022056 said:

i can blast an entire car with 150 lbs of slag and a cost of $35 for 100 lb bag.

If you have  a Tractor Supply near you check them out. Here they charge $7.95 per 50 lb bag of fine or Xfine slag................Bob

• 4 weeks later...

You can also buy a 3000lb supersack of slag for 300.00 at most commercial blasting joints.  

The problem I have with the dustless would be scraping wet mush from rockers,  trunk floors, floor pans, and inside quarter panels.    I've looked into buying one of these but I decided to stick with dry blasting because of the mentioned mess it would take to dry up and cleanup.