Remington Bias Whitewalls

Guest 61Vette

Guest 61Vette

My 61 Vette has Remington G78-15 bias whitewalls with what appears to be very few miles on them. I'd like to replace them with some wide radial whitewalls. Any suggestions on what tires to buy and do the old ones have any value? I am thinking of keeping one old tire as a spare. Thanks.

With the factory wheels, which I suspect are 15x6 in size, it tends to limit things somewhat as to "wider" tires, even radials. Tread width should not vary more than plus or minus 1" from the rim's "between the beads" width. I suspect you'll find that your current size meets that criteria. P215/75R-15 would be the equivalent radial size to the earlier GR78-15 size. P225/70R-15 would be the equivalent GR70-15 size, but would need a little bit wider wheel to work best (15x7). I do believe, though, that if you check the original tire sizes, you'll find the G-series tire might fit the wheel well fine, they are one notch larger than the original tires on the car.

6.70x15 was the original size, with P205/75R-15 being the radial equivalent (Coker Tire and TireRack) size recommendation. The P205/75R-15 should work fine (according to the TireRack's spec sheet on their inhouse Fuzion brand) with the 5.5" (or so) factory wheels. A P215/70R-15 size would need a wider 6.5" wheel to work well as it should. Using the wider tires on the narrower wheels will mean the tread might not be completely flat (convex) in appearance and that more sidewall flex would result. Using a wider wheel width keeps the sidewall's shape more optimal and sharpens handling response. This is why the tread width/"between the bead" rim width relationship should be as previously stated.

Of course, you could also spring for some repro tires of the OEM 6.70x15 tires.

Remingtons? Just a private brand of tire, usually built by Kelly-Springfield. Many people bought them in the 1980s as they had one tire that was popular with used car dealers and other tire dealers who had "price sensitive" customers. Rather than the normal 11/32" tread, this particular Remmington had a 9/32" tread, for less money. When new, they looked just like a new tire, deep tread and all. But as they wore, they didn't wear as long as suspected (by the customer). At this point in time, I suspect the tires you have are older than 6 years old, which makes them "ready to come apart" . . . although they might still hold air, they could suffer a tread separation at any time (like just after you dodged something in the highway).

I suspect that almost any good radial in the P205/75R-15 size will provide better handling than the earlier tires did. 1" width whitewalls were also acceptable on Corvettes, back then. Using the P205s on the stock wheels will ride better than larger tires on wider wheels, due to the decreased weight of the orig-size tires . . . not as much "bounching around" weight for the shocks and springs to control.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest 61Vette

Thank you for the in depth reply. I am actually looking to keep the tire size the size that was original to the car. I mistyped in my request for information. What I meant by wide was the width of the actual whitewall as opposed to the 1" wide whitewall. I live in Southern OC California and may go buy tires tomorrow. The tires on my car now are old and your post reaffirms my need to replace them. Thanks again, you gave me a great deal of information.

Guest Water Jacket

Whitewalls are tacky, smack of trying too hard, especially on a serious sports/road car. You see the car better without such distractions. Just because something's available doesn't mean you have to plaster your car with it. Less is more. But get radials.