MY REATTA PICS

Guest Corvanti

Guest Corvanti

since it's getting too darn hot here in the cave to start a major (or minor) project, thought i'd take some pics to add a new album...

post-73703-143139076712_thumb.jpg

still have much work to do, but getting there! :)

post-73703-143139076686_thumb.jpg

post-73703-143139076693_thumb.jpg

post-73703-143139076696_thumb.jpg

post-73703-143139076701_thumb.jpg

post-73703-143139076706_thumb.jpg

Corvanti-

Nicely done. I always enjoy seeing others save one of these fine cars, and you seem on course to do an exemplary job of it. Having been down this road twice myself (still doing detail work on the 88) I know what is involved, and respect those who will rise to the challenge. These cars deserve to be saved, they have historic significance, good looks, and are just great cars.

KDirk

The fog lights on my 88 are inset exactly the same as on my 91 So, if yours protrude further, either the aim was adjusted differently at some point, or the mounting brackets were modified for some reason.

KDirk

Guest Corvanti

Kevin, thanks for the kind words!!! :)

i didn't notice your signature pic until i had already painted the side and bumper trim black. yours looks so cool! :cool:

i still have a lot to do, but your words of encouragement makes me want to "git-er-done". but as with other cars i've refreshed/restored, i'll never be "done" - always one more thing i can find "to do"... ;)

Corvanti-

Thanks for the compliment on the 91! I really need to do a new signature pic, one with both cars on display. Just haven't had time and the 88 still needs a few things to be ready for a photoshoot. Also need to find a good scenic location. I've been scouting, and have a couple of possibilities. Probably ought to get my Caddy in there too, even though it is an "outsider" on this forum.

Both of mine - the 91 and 88 are both white - had black side moldings when I bought them. I changed both to white as I liked the cleaner monochromatic look better; just personal preference. The 91 got a full repaint, the 88 just the moldings and front right fender which had a small stress crack in the plastic. I also went with different wheels (chrome 16" from a 2002 LeSabre) with custom made center caps from Steve Scott. I'm considering putting the original 91 wheels (after being properly refinished) on one of the cars because I do like the look of them, and they will hold up better than chrome wheels in the harsh winters we get here.

In any case, I can relate to the cars never truly being done. I still have some minor issues to address on both cars, and even after those are done I will continue to tinker I'm sure. Anyway, you are on the right track. Enjoy getting it back in shape, it is an educational and stimulating (if sometimes frustrating and expensive) hobby, and the end results will be worth the effort. The reward for your work will be the pride of owning a unique and relatively rare car that will get many compliments and quizzical looks from those unfamiliar with the Reatta; and there are many who have never seen or heard of this car it seems.

KDirk

Guest Mark D. Simmers

I am the proud owner of an '89 Wht/Blu Reatta. Picked it up cheap too :D It has the CRT/Dash issues and I still have to go through grounds, etc. Runs and drives very smooth. I hope, one day, to have it looking as nice as yours. :cool:

Guest Corvanti

thanks all for the compliments. :o

for the wheels - i left them them on the car (easier for my fused back, hip and knee replacements), jacked up a side at a time, "prepared" the black areas, masked and shot rattle can black wheel paint. after 3 coats, shot it with wheel clear. used some "mother's aluminum & mag polish" and "nev'r dull" on the non black aluminum - i had some on hand. did i mention i was "cheap" due to current circumstances? :P it's been about 3 1/2 weeks now since i finished and a couple trips out in rainy conditions. seems to be holding up well (so far)...

used "matte black trim and bumper paint" rattle can on the side trim and bumpers. then "back to black" polish after a week.

the aluminum bumpers: i tried oven cleaner but it didn't really help - (i might not have left it on long enough). wet sanded with 400 then 1000 grit, then polished with the aluminum polish mentioned above and buffed.

for the taillight area, used quixx acrylic after a 1000 grit wet sand, then buff. again, stuff i already had...

in regards to the white paint, it's definitely a 10 footer, especially the trunk lid and above the front bumper. when i first got her, i "clay barred" and waxed. when finances allow, at least those areas need painting.

i suppose the only really "weird" thing i did was sprayed the muffler and tailpipe with a high heat galvanized "chrome" paint after i prepared and undercoated the underbody with por-15 and spray rust encapsulator on hard to reach places - was just surface rust, but i hate rust!!! :mad:

some of the above may not be the best way to tackle problems, but on a limited budget and many more things to do, it does look a lot better than it did when i was fortunate enough to find her! :)