National meet photos

Pete Phillips

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT PICTURES JD. Are you sure we were at the same meet??? I didn't see HALF those cars. CAN NOT believe I missed that gorgeous red 56 Roadmaster. DANGIT!!!!! Seriously thanks for taking the time to take and share so many photos. My camera was screwed up this year. Time to budget for a new one.

Now, somebody PLEASE tell me they got shots of the '54 Landau and her younger cousin the '55 Century Four Door Riviera, side by side. PLEASE!!!

See post #39.... one of interest is the black '38 Limited in Modified, still running a straight 8 but with 2 carbs and single exhaust. It also had an unusual engineered a/c mounting system. I believe it was converted to automatic and the leather front and rear seats were beautiful.

I hope Pete can give us some additional coverage on this car in the future. I did not check the window sticker to get the owners name and state.

I only recall seeing one '58 Buick, but others may have been gone by the time we finished judging, always a bummer when people leave the show field early. By 3 pm there was maybe 10-15% of the cars still on site.

I noticed that 38, and noted the AC lines, and how nice they were run. Love the steering wheel too, and the leather seats. That must be a limited, or Roadmaster, huh? Great piece of work in modifying such.

Does anyone know what happened to the old Buick with the TWO V-6 engines mounted end for end? I saw it years ago, and often wondered about that car.

Dale in Indy

See post #39.... one of interest is the black '38 Limited in Modified, still running a straight 8 but with 2 carbs and single exhaust. It also had an unusual engineered a/c mounting system. I believe it was converted to automatic and the leather front and rear seats were beautiful.

I hope Pete can give us some additional coverage on this car in the future. I did not check the window sticker to get the owners name and state.

I only recall seeing one '58 Buick, but others may have been gone by the time we finished judging, always a bummer when people leave the show field early. By 3 pm there was maybe 10-15% of the cars still on site.

The owner is Arnold Petsche of Texas. Arnold and I have been exchanging emails for some time as he has progressed with the car. It also has electric windows. Bet you couldn't tell that. Gorgeous car, which I had more chance to look at it.

The owner is Arnold Petsche of Texas. Arnold and I have been exchanging emails for some time as he has progressed with the car. It also has electric windows. Bet you couldn't tell that. Gorgeous car, which I had more chance to look at it.

Loving it. Thanks for sharing folks. After attending 6 Nationals in a row, I couldn't make it this year due to a conflict. Normally we take at least 100 photos, so this helps a bit.

So, can anyone tell me anything about the green '59 LeSabre sold at Winnipeg Motor Products with a Manitoba front plate?

So, can anyone tell me anything about the green '59 LeSabre sold at Winnipeg Motor Products with a Manitoba front plate?

The Green LeSabre belongs to Jeff McConnaughey, Director of the '59 Division. It is a lightly modified, heavily DRIVEN car with creature comforts for the road added.

Lamar, the red '56 RM (and the white '58 with the big wheels) live here in Anderson, SC,

so come on up some time and we'll arrange a private showing. I didn't even see their owners,

a father & son team who own a transmission shop in town. Dang!!

TG

I'll do that. Really enjoyed looking over your fitty-sebum. Didn't realize it was such an original condition car. NICE!!!

Does anyone know what that color is called? I cannot recall ever seeing that color before...it is striking and unique.

Willie

Willie, I'll ask Lewis next week when I see him. You're right, it is really an eye-catcher. I spotted it in a sea of cars and went right to it.

Does anyone know what that color is called? I cannot recall ever seeing that color before...it is striking and unique.

Willie

The color of the pictured 1953 Buick Skylark looks like Paint Code #83, PINEHURST GREEN, third color from bottom in Pic #1.

Brooklin makes a 1953 Buick Skylark 1:43 diecast model supposedly with this color, but I feel that the model's color is somewhat lighter.

Pic #2 below shows the REEF BLUE (from a different sea :(), Paint Code #77, color chip along with the PINEHURST GREEN color chip.

Added Pic #3 shows the following greens available in 1953, top to bottom.....

#60 RIDGE GREEN

#58 TERRACE GREEN

#52 VERDE GREEN

#83 PINEHURST GREEN

#79 BALSAM GREEN

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-14313908816_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139088125_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139088145_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
added Pic #3 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

The color of the pictured 1953 Buick Skylark looks like Paint Code #83, PINEHURST GREEN, third color from bottom in Pic #1.

Brooklin makes a 1953 Buick Skylark 1:43 diecast model supposedly with this color, but I feel that the model's color is somewhat lighter.

Pic #2 below shows the REEF BLUE, Paint Code #77, color chip along with the PINEHURST GREEN color chip.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]144764[/ATTACH]

I agree, Pinehurst Green - there used to be one in my area owned by Bill Stitt that was Pinehurst, and that sure looks the same

There was a 53 Skylark in my area painted that color.

One of the interesting factors from the BCA judging manual is that there is no point deduction for variations of color. Too blue, or too green or too much metallic? The book says leave it alone.

Pinehust green seems to be the shade. Is it a metallic color? That Skylark seemed to have a pearlescent effect.

Willie

Pic #1 below shows the recipe from Acme Quality Paints, Detroit, Michigan from a 1953 color chip chart for the PINEHURST GREEN, single stage, original type lacquer paint. Note that the recipe includes both a metallic base and a small amount (1.75 units), of "fine Luminescence" which I take as meaning some sort of pearl (?) media.

Automotive paints today have come along way since the 1950's. Today's pearls are usually a semi-transparent iridescent powder with little or no pigment, when added to the paint or the clear coat, gives off that soft pearlescent glow.

The actual recipe that was used would have to come from Jenkins. The pictures, to me, point to a two-stage base coat - high gloss, clear coat paint job. For the color selection, an original color chip could have been computer-scanned, or the color selected from "a close match" from a paint manufacturer's "green" color chips, or the color could have been an OEM paint color for a modern 2012 xxxx auto.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

post-41556-143139091399_thumb.jpg