Anybody done a robust seatbelt installation without welding?

lancemb

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I am not a welder and would like to do this myself (I don't even know where I'd go now). I would like to install front and rear seatbelts in my 57 Buick and was wondering if anyone had done this using large bolts and washers in some prime location somehow? Or can it be done without going through the floor?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I've done it to all my cars for front lap belts. Through floor in strongest suitable place, large washers or fabricated plates. No welding. Would they pass NTSB crash testing? Who knows? But better than nothing................Bob

Also drill from the bottom-up rather than floor-down to avoid any chance of hitting fuel lines or wire routing. Use thick heavy duty washers and bolts that have been treated for strength and maybe even a wide backing plate to help spread the force of an accident, a bolt with a washer will simply rip through the floor since energy will be focused on a small area. Use lock washers, locktite, and anything else you can think of to make up for not being welded in place.

I was surprised to find that my '62 had hard mounting points with receiving nuts already welded in place even tho seatbelts would not be mandated until 1968. Save yourself some trouble and make sure yours doesn't have something similar first.

This has been stated on other posts before, but it's VERY important. If you're adding seat belts, make sure that the seat mounting brackets and bolts are STRONGER than the anchors for the seat belts.

If you have an accident, and the seat belt holds but the seat itself is ripped from the floor mounting, you'll probably die.

Yes, that's meant to scare you, adding seat belts to a car not designed for them can be a dangerous business.