Did Pontiac make this? :)

Search for world

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143157[/ATTACH]

I saw that as one of the lead stories on Yahoo.com earlier and emailed it to several of my friends. Unfortunately, the brain that conceived this cluster**** is apparently residing in the area where I live, near Knoxville, TN. I am ashamed to admit that I live in an area where a moron of this sort would purposely construct such an abysmal, infernal, mismatched POS. One of the guys I emailed it to replied that he was willing to bet the guy lived in Newport, TN.

Newport is a small city near the North Carolina state line - it has a reputation for crooked law enforcement, cock-fighting, and the spawning of innumerable rednecks reminiscent of the type seen in the movie Deliverance.

My final statement is that this is probably a waste of International truck sheet metal. I wonder if a tree fell on the Pontiac and this was his way of fixing it.

My wife, from Newport, was entertained by your comments. She did not disagree.

My apologies to your wife - plenty of good people live over there and I'm sure she is one of the good ones. I was raised in a part of Knoxville (Vestal) that is sort of the urban area equivalent of a Newport. I'm trying to be one of the better ones from my area too, although there is considerable disagreement as to the degree of success I'm having.

I'm glad she is able to see the entertainment value in my comments - this isn't the first time the supposed anonymity of the Internet has resulted in my posting a comment that has put me in a somewhat unflattering light. Then again, I'm from Vestal, so the unflattering light was already beaming down on me.

It's all good.

You know that the person that made the car had his/her reasons. Lots and lots of cars have been made into strange looking pieces, and such shouldn't bother a sole.

Sure it's fun to look at and voice an opinion, but it's just that YOUR OPINION. Making a piece like this DOESN'T make the person a weird, out of touch person. Lots of art pieces are strange looking, and some bring huge sums of money.

Fact is that the Azteck received great reviews at shows before it went into production. Actually if you take the back 1/4 of the SUV and make a few changes, well it makes it a decent looking piece.

Lots of cars have received great reviews before production, and then fell on their face sales wise.

Anyone that wants to cut up a car and have some fun gets my OK.

Dale in Indy

Anyone that wants to cut up a car and have some fun gets my OK.

Dale in Indy

I have to agree in a weird sort of way. I'd drive the crap out of the Plycorlet. It's so goofy, it's cool. Of course, I ride the worlds stupidest motorcycle, so my taste is, somewhat, suspect anyway:p

54nuyorkrwagon,

no need to apologize about the Newport TN comments. She would agree the car looks like Cocke County. Keep in mind we now live in WV and we hear our share of jokes up here. Some more deserving than others.

Doug

Guest prs519

It speaks reams, philosophically. Years later, there are those quietly asking of the builder, "What were you thinking?"

Joe it is so much better looking than an Aztek that is not possible!

Bill would agree with you Steve. :rolleyes: We have noticed however that they seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. We pretty much see one or more Azteks every time we go out. Bill says that people have gotten over being embarrased that they bought one. :cool:

Joe it is so much better looking than an Aztek that is not possible!

If you're familiar with the "Breaking Bad" series on the AMC TV channel, the lead character is Walter White, played by the actor Bryan Cranston. He is depicted as a somewhat loser-type character in the show - in this role, he drives an Aztek.

It all seems to fit together.

I'm not offended by your opinion, just letting you know who the contributors are here. Since this site is mostly about preservation of antique vehicles you can plainly see why this beast got the response it did.

I hate to see old iron used this way, but, it makes what the rest of us have more valuable.

People's reactions to something like this are quite remarkable, aren't they? It's either pro or con, with very few expressing indifference. Yahoo News ran this picture the other day, prompting me to read the news article. In reading the article, I saw that the original for sale ad ran in the Knoxville TN Craigslist. So, my first reaction was shame, with the realization that the car and it's master are from somewhere in my living area. My second reaction was anger, and I'm still not exactly sure why this makes me angry. But, anger probably comes from the realization that someone wasted the cab sheet metal from an early 60s? International pickup truck. Maybe the person/persons responsible are nothing like the picture I have created in my mind. Maybe the truck sheet metal was rusty from the ground up, and using it in this way is recycling what little good was left.

I'm seeing much the same thing from posters to this topic. Some are disgusted to the point of near anger, others find it humorous and strangely creative.

All I know is that I feel what I feel when I see it, and the feeling isn't a good one.

Peter,

While Pontiac didn't make it, maybe they would be around if they had.

Consider this.

#1 It's a pickup cab (With classic lines liked by all guys)

#2 Sleek car front (For better gas mileage)

#3 Rear passenger room (4 doors,which the lack there of was the down fall of the Ranchero and the El Camino)

Then look at the Covette. (Submitted by the Continental) It has a pickup tailgate.

Then combine the two with a real pickup bed instead of a trunk.

What do your get? An "El Firemino" for the family man. (Which could have avoided the demise of the old General

Motors Corp.)