29' Dodge DA rear spring

60ch

I am in the process of cleaning and installing new bushings in the rear springs of my DA four dr. sedan. One spring has 7 leaves the other has 8 leaves. Can anybody with a 4 dr. sedan tell me which is correct? Perhaps I have a spring from a 2 dr. or a coupe. Next question will be who has a DA 4 dr rear spring for sale. Thanks, Terry

My '29 DA has 8 leaves in the rear spring packs. It was a phaeton to begin with then got turned into a ute at some stage so I don't really know it the springs were beefed up at that point or not. Maybe 8 is right. (???) I cannot vouch for the correct number of leaves as that is one of the many things I have not investigated yet.

Hopefully someone else will have a more definitive answer. :)

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

One spring will in many cases have more leaves as it is the wind-up spring, I believe it will be the R spring with the addit. leaf

Talking of wind ups;

I used to work at a place where they took on youngsters doing "work experience". One guy there was an absolute gift. I once asked him if he could fetch a tin of elbow grease for the machine he was supposed to be helping me with. So off to the stores he went!

He returned with a message from the storeman "he says he is out of that grease stuff but would some thick pillock oil do instead!"

Poor guy stood no chance.

Ray.

You learn something new every day - Thanks Jason, I never noticed that!

Ray

(not a wind up, is it?.... :rolleyes:}

Might be you will find the extra leaf was added as quick fix for a sagging rear end, I have seen this extra leaf is more often than not there and its always on the R.side

Hwellens. Thank you for the chart! Can you tell me what the letters S.E. and L.E. under the spring length signify? They are used again under bushings. This is a really handy chart to have

The book does not say what the SE and LE are, but, does say to follow the curvature of the main leaf for measurements. Therefore, I would assume they mean Short End and Long End as measured from the pin that inserts in to the axle and follow the curvature of the main leaf to the center of the end where the bushing goes. I have this data for the fronts and trucks also. I plan on sending a copy to DB webmaster to put on their site for info. I have the bushing data also.

Edited by hwellens
added info (see edit history)

Hwellens, Your short end/ long end theory makes perfect sense. It also applies well to the bushings as they are different on the long and short end of the spring. Thanks again for the information. Very good stuff. Terry