LED Tailights

Guest SoCalReatta

Guest SoCalReatta

I remember reading in a post about someone installing rear LED lights. Where can I get a kit or info on this? Thanks!

SoCal-

You can get LED replacement bulbs at some auto parts stores, and many places online (use the same bulb type number as the ones being replaced) but keep in mind the following:

1) You will need to replace your turn and hazard signal flashers with ones that are fixed-rate. Most flashers go to rapid blink when a bulb burns out, and the LED's will cause this too, as the load they present is much less than the regular light bulbs, causing the blinker to think one or more bulbs have burned out. The alternative to this is to put in "dummy loads" usually in the form of large sand block resistors to simulate the amount of current drawn by regular lamps. This can get tricky as you need not only the correct loading factor, but need to install them someplace where they will not contact material that can melt or burn as they can become hot in operation.

2) The LED bulbs do not disperse their light output as much as regular bulbs, so they will "hot spot" or appear as points of light behind the lens, rather than being well blended across the width of the lens. Some people dislike this look, so this may be something to consider.

KDirk

I would have to disagree that it can't be done and done effectively. You can continue using the stock flasher, would just need to splice in 2 resistors for the rear and it should work no differently than the fiero. Check out Top Line Group Automotive - Fiero 350z MR2 Supra C4 and More as they sell great looking LED bulb kits. I bought switch back front turn signals for my Fiero and they look great. Here's a video on the notchback install which is similar to the Reatta. Top Line Group Automotive - Fiero 350z MR2 Supra C4 and More

Guest Corvanti

agree with the resistors... i switched over to leds on my 99 C5 Corvette for all exterior (except headlights) and interior (dome, rear, etc.) lighting. no problems, and all were brighter.

but- i didn't pay close for all of what the link above shows for a few... :)

agree with the resistors... i switched over to leds on my 99 C5 Corvette for all exterior (except headlights) and interior (dome, rear, etc.) lighting. no problems, and all were brighter.

but- i didn't pay close for all of what the link above shows for a few... :)

Well if you have the 411 on brighter LED's with same or greater # of SMD's, please share it. Have to be careful when comparing prices considering not all retailers are giving the same # of SMD output.

Guest Corvanti

Sean, i bought most interior and exterior lights (not all) from here:

RC Mini Helicopter Toy items in Lexen Auto Wholesale store on eBay!

it's been about 3 years since i did the Corvette and i'm not sure if i got the tail lights here, but i think so.

was one of my few "saved sellers" - heck, i'm getting to the age i can't remember what i had for dinner last night! :rolleyes:

EDIT: in the search, type in the bulb #.

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)