Sign in to follow this  
John.McMaster

1930 Studebaker Commander Carburettor

[h=2][/h]

I have a c1930 Studebaker 8 Commander Sedan engine number FD801. The chassis plate is missing.

I believe the correct carburetor for this is a Stromberg UX-2. Whilst I have a couple of these in the shed they are crumbling to dust and are irreparable. The car is presently fitted with a Tilitson JR4A which I found NOS some years ago. It runs OK with this carburetor although can have difficulty starting when hot usually needing choke if its stopped longer than 10 minutes.

I am seeking advice if anyone knows if the Tilitson is an adequate replacement. (with perhaps the hard hot start related to something else).

From others experience or knowledge are there any carburetors that would be better suited that may be available?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I have a 1928 Commander GB Big Six with a non-original carburetor on it that works well. It is a Carter BB-1 updraft that is original to 1939 era GM Cab Over trucks. They are plentiful at flea markets like Hershey.

The carb & manifold are on the left side of the six cylinder Studebakers but I think your 8 cyl has the carb & manifold on right side? It should fit on the right side without interferance, just where the throttle linkage hooks to the system in the car might need a new rod bent to the right angles.

Stude8post-31139-143139073268_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info and photo. The carb is on the right side of my car and with right hand drive (Newcastle Australia) it is all fairly close in that area but the Carter in the photo is similar in size and style to the Tilitson I am running so it will probably fit. I will check it out.

Thanks again. John.

The "X" in UX-2 means "cross-flange" carburetor (a straight line between the mounting bolts would run from fender to fender rather than bumper to bumper with a "straight-flange" carburetor).

Note in the picture supplied by Stude8 that the Carter BB-1 is a straight-flange carburetor, and required a cross-flange adapter (the cast iron item between the carburetor and the intake). If clearances are tight, using a straight-flange carb with adapter can possibly cause a fitting issue.

To my knowledge, there have been no replacement "cross-flange" carburetors in 60 years. One replacement some use to replace the UX-2 is the slightly older OX-2, which is mostly brass, and therefore does not deteriorate.

It is quite common to use a choke to start an engine with an updraft carburetor; however (opinion, others will differ) the Tillotson makes for a better paperweight (if clean) than a carburetor. Your starting issue may be the carb, or it may be something different.

As always, when diagnosing an engine issue which seems related to the carburetor, the steps in order:

(1) compression test

(2) ignition test

(3) fuel delivery system test

(4) now you look at the carburetor

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I always thought there was an early version of the UX2 in cast iron.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your informative response.

I have had this car for 48 years and it has always been on the road and driven. When I got it I tried to clean the original UX-2 and it soon got beyond my abilities and resources. It was 1964 and I was 16. I was still able to buy the JR4A new from an old garage and did so. I fitted this carb then and have done about 50,000 happy miles with it. Now that I have retired I am revisiting some of the issues put off in the days of children and career. In a way it was prompted after reading your sign off line regarding ‘one size fits all’ on another post.

I have often wondered if the car would perform better with the correct carb and if the choke start was an indicator of some inadequacy of the Tilitson. Your comment regarding choke for updrafts is reassuring and makes sense and since I have the technique sorted after all these years its not an issue in itself. All the other issues you suggest have been covered with satisfactory results. I have other old English cars and have worked out that most fuel problems are electrical. lol

Amusingly, my son repeated my words of years ago to him last week as I mentioned this forum enquiry to him: “if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it”.

As you can see in the photo room with the right side steering is tight. You will also notice that it is fitted with a cross flange adaptor plate as you describe which came with the carburetor. The adjustable jet on the JR hits the steering box as its adjusted. Not a problem once set but an indicator of the space issue. You will also notice (why do these things look worse in a photo?) that the JR won’t be much good as a paperweight either.

However I will keep an eye out for an OX-2. and perhaps try it out.

Thanks again, John.post-86293-143139074388_thumb.jpg

I have a 1928 Commander GB Big Six with a non-original carburetor on it that works well. It is a Carter BB-1 updraft that is original to 1939 era GM Cab Over trucks. They are plentiful at flea markets like Hershey.

The carb & manifold are on the left side of the six cylinder Studebakers but I think your 8 cyl has the carb & manifold on right side? It should fit on the right side without interferance, just where the throttle linkage hooks to the system in the car might need a new rod bent to the right angles.

Stude8[ATTACH=CONFIG]143184[/ATTACH]

I am cleaning up my Ball & Ball SV-26 for my 1925 Big 6 engine. I am interested in having a 'back-up' carburetor - just in case. I have located a Carter BB-1 updraft. What jet size are you using? Have you made any modifications to the carburetor from stock? I like your cross-flange adapter. I have a suspicion I'll have to make my own. Steve

The only Studebaker car that had a UX-2 cast iron carburetor was the 1929 Commander 6 but good luck with finding one!!! I've had my car since 1976 and never been able to find one. I did buy one from card king 15 years ago and it runs fine. Lanny

I have a Stromberg TX-2 but I think these were for an earlier model Commander and I believe Dictator also - around 1927 or 1928. It is suffering from some of the decay issues (mostly the float cover) but may have some useful parts for someone.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

To Steve

I don't know the jet size, it is an adjustable needle type jet.

John (stude8)

As well, I have had to replace my UX-2 with a Carter BB-1 Updraft with the cross flange adaptor on my 1928 GE Dictator. Car runs just fine with this carb., though I need to make some adjustments on the linkage bends on the replacement linkage that was made for it. Be very sure that all of your linkages operate without any sticking or hanging up, or else you'll end up with a stuck throttle.

Thanks stude8. It is interesting that of all of the shop manuals, etc. that I have collected over the years, not one of them have any info on the Carter BB-1. So, I found a BB-1 manual on eBay. Should get here by next week. Steve (spu)

Hi GE Dictator 1928 - Did you find / purchase the cross flange adapter or make your own? By chance do you have a picture of your Carter BB-1 installed on your vehicle? Is your carb a model 289? Thanks! Steve (spu)

Edited by spu (see edit history)