WTB - Franklin radiator cap and lion hood ornament

RansomEli

I'm looking for a radiator cap and lion hood ornament for my 1929 Franklin. I know it's not original but I like the lion anyways.

Don't want a mint, perfect example. Just an original or HHFC copy that has good detailing. I don't want to worry too much if someone steals the ornament.

Thanks.

Please contact me via email or private message.

JamesRunde@yahoo.com

James,

Keep watching ebay. Another one gets listed every week or two. Many, if not most, sell for less than $200. Watch out for the listings that say "Franklin Style hood ornament" or "You are bidding on a style of Franklin Automobile Car Mascot/ Hood Ornament.". The descriptions for these are written to be misleading. They are poor reproductions.

Steve

Thanks. I saw that one and the price is a little steep for me - $425. I was hoping for something more like $200.

The price must have come down, it now says $47.99. In any event it says right in the auction it is a Gem product, whoever they are. Also says 2 stud installation, the factory ones have one center stud and most are nickel plated, not sure about '28s. If you go to the Trek be sure to check the parts dept.

Gem is a cheap reproduction. Real ones have Sterling stamped on the bottom with a single bolt in the center. There are concentric rings on the bottom radiating out from the bolt hole that look like it was machined.

The Lion would be harder to steal than you would think - it is not like a 1/4 turn cap which is quick, but the bolt goes well down into the fake radiator - here are pictures of a cap & Lion - the bottom of the lion looks exactly like the cap - this cap is the one where a lion was cut off and a cap soldered on, polished and plated by the factory due to some royalties they had not wished to pay. There was a post a couple years ago where a knowledgeable Franklin owner gave some more history to this legend, but I can't find it.

The Lions are on e-bay quite often, the cap can't be all that rare even though this is the only one I've ever seen since everyone wants the Lions.

I'll also apologize, but this post is for info only - neither item is for sale.

Good luck in your search.

post-31809-143139074677_thumb.jpg

post-31809-14313907468_thumb.jpg

post-31809-143139074685_thumb.jpg

Years ago when I got my 1929 Franklin the first thing I did was to mount a Franklin Lion atop the plain cap on the hood front. Perhaps not "right" in everyone's eyes, but I thought it looked quite spiffy; surely a lot more interesting than the muffin-shaped thing that came from the factory. Far and wide my Franklin and especially its Lion mascot were warmly received and much admired by the multitudes. The 1929 was a great running, great driving car, too!