Need help on 1931 ford model a pickup

Hi I'm new to the forum, I been looking to buy a ford model a pickup and don't know anyone locally that has knowledge on this trucks. The truck that I'm looking at is locally and I please need help from you guys.

Here's the truck

1931 Ford Model A Pick-up, short bed CALI ORIGINAL

My questions.

Does this truck look unmolested and original? How can I tell if it is or if it's an old restoration.?

How can I check if it has the original drivetrain.?

Whats a fair price? So I can know what to offer.

What should I look for when i go look at it?

Is this a 1931? Are the chrome/ss/nickel(don't know what plating they are) lights/grill correct? Or do they supposed to be painted black?

Do all parts look original?interior?

My main concert is finding out if this truck is a real survivor. I want an all original truck that hasn't been molested and i can leave as is cosmetically.

I apologize for the many questions and thank you in advance for any help out there provided.

Santi

Ps. I hope this is the correct part of the forum for this thread.

Edited by Greens07 (see edit history)

I don't know that I would say it's "unmolested" as it appears to have been repainted at least once. It's possible to have a stainless shell and lamps on a p/u but probably not likely. It has an aftermarket 4 blade fan(Ford never used a 4 blade fan in Model "A" production) and it's missing the engine splash pans. Probably need a new wiring harness too!. Looks pretty complete but I think the price is way out of line! Looks more like a $4,000-$5,000 vehicle to me.Some people think that they all have gold mines!

Thanks again for your input, I should do more learning before I jump into a buy. Im a

collector of prewar bicycles and started at zero knowledge, so it should be fun to start that journey again. Glad to be here, I been reading some old threads and they're full of good knowledge.

Thanks

Remember ,you are buying a basic vehicle with most of these cars. The pictures tend to look better than the actual vehicle. Most will require more work than expected to get them up and running and with Model "A"'s most of these cars,even the high dollar ones, are not truely restored. Too many incorrect parts and shoddy workmanship. If you want a nice one, check with MAFCA(Model A Ford Club of America) ,or MARC (Model A Restorers Club) which also has contacts for vehicles for sale! E-bay is really out there with wild prices for cars that are worth only 1/4 of the asking price. Gauge your buying price on the cost of restoration to get a better idea of what to pay. There are still a lot of Model A's out there for reasonable prices. Personally ,I would rather find one in pieces than to buy one that somebody has already hacked up. $12,000-15,000 is really high end even for a really nice "A"! IMO! If you just want something to play with ,stay around the $4,000-$6,000 bracket.

This truck has been all apart and put back to together. I put it at a late 60's to early 70's 'restoration' on likely a nice body to start with which was 40 years ago. So 40 years ago a restoration was done on a 40 year old car- think about it so now it may seem like a survivor.

Odds are real high it was not built back to factory. You are likely to find it was built with a minimum of new parts and probably does not drive as it should. If it has 4 working shocks then try to run it 55 MPH. It should stop well and be happy and comfortable at 55 to 60 MPH. I think you will find 45 is pushing it.

The $15,000 price is way out of line. If all things lined up well the most I could see would be $8000 as I have seen pickups sell for that kind of money in the same or worse shape. In reality, you are looking at $8000 to $12000 worth of mechanical work to make it a reliable truck that will go 60 MPH with all factory parts. Dollar wise $4000 to $6000 with the $6000 if the truck sheet metal, frame and such were all obvious nice rust free original parts quickly going down to the $4000 mark. Bonus points if they can prove they used all NOS engine parts that might have been found more easily in the past.

Thanks for all the useful information, I will be passing on this as the guy won't budge. I think I better start with a nice solid project and go from there. I will look up what pops here for sale and keep my eye on Craigslist nationwide.

Thanks

Hi Greens07,

If you are in the SF bayarea find a local club to join first since you are starting at ground zero. If you really want this truck and it looks like a good starting point for a beginner, then take along a knowledgeable person to look the truck over. It has been apart at some point as the paint, rad shell and headlights are not correct as stated before. The engine has also blown a head gasket at some point. I also must agree that the 15K asking price is way out of line. Also, check out the 'FordBarn' there is a wealth of knowledge there.

Mike

Hi Greens07,

If you are in the SF bayarea find a local club to join first since you are starting at ground zero. If you really want this truck and it looks like a good starting point for a beginner, then take along a knowledgeable person to look the truck over. It has been apart at some point as the paint, rad shell and headlights are not correct as stated before. The engine has also blown a head gasket at some point. I also must agree that the 15K asking price is way out of line. Also, check out the 'FordBarn' there is a wealth of knowledge there.

Mike

Im in so calif, I been doing lots of reading to try to gather info on this old model a trucks.

My only interest on that truck for sale was because it was stated it was original untouch but since its not I rather continue searching and find something I can work on rather than something that has been restored. Thanks for the reference I will check it out.

Santi

Im in so calif, I been doing lots of reading to try to gather info on this old model a trucks.

My only interest on that truck for sale was because it was stated it was original untouch but since its not I rather continue searching and find something I can work on rather than something that has been restored. Thanks for the reference I will check it out.

Santi

Study ebay for a couple of weeks and go to the completed listings and see what actual selling prices are. You will be an expert in no time!

Only about 1 in 10 model A's actually sell on ebay. Many sellers feel their vehicles are worth more then the market will bare.

Also follow the Ford Barn for finding some good honest original vehicles.

good luck!