Same Old Fuse No. 2 Problem - '90 Coupe

Guest Kingsley

Guest Mc_Reatta

That's cause the turn signals work off fuse #7 and the stop/hazard lights work off fuse #6.

Have you had the pleasure of checking the splices under the seats and where the wires pass from the body into the doors on this car yet?

If nothing seems like the obvious problem, check the circuits associated with fuse #2 on pages 11-2 thru 11-5 in the FSM and try to disconnect as many of the connectors shown [ --) )-- C*** ] along the wire runs as you can get to.

Use a test light or wire a 12 volt light bulb in place of the fuse #2 and keep disconnecting things until the light goes out. Be aware that if you leave the doors open, the jamb switches will try to illuminate the courtesy lights and the test light will never go out, so use some duck tape or something to hold those switches in or disconnect them with the door open. Don't leave the trunk open either.

About ten minutes ago, I finally pinpointed what causes my number 2 fuse to blow. It is caused by opening the hood. Why that is making it blow is still a mystery to me - but you may want to see if that is causing yours to blow.

Guest Mc_Reatta
About ten minutes ago, I finally pinpointed what causes my number 2 fuse to blow. It is caused by opening the hood. Why that is making it blow is still a mystery to me - but you may want to see if that is causing yours to blow.

Wire running up to the underhood light? Though I think it's only hot when the parking lights are on.

Guest Kingsley

McReatta - thanks. Per 8A-11-2, I have been reading Fuse 2 as working through S209 and going to C210; through C200 to S311on 8A-11-3 to LH and RH turn signal relays C & D in the Micro Center Relay as well as to the Trunk Light, KEM, door lock switches, outside mirrors, power door locks & door warning lights. How does the conflict with Fuse No. 7

come about?

Yep, I have had the pleasure of accessing S311 and have some inconsistencies there but have been scratching my head over the turn signal switch activity.

Thanks.

Kingsley

Guest Kingsley

A bit further - in the course of going around in circles on this problem, note that 8A-110-13 brings fuse No. 2 back into play and, if that is not functioning where does this put us?

Back at it again now and will see if I can make some headway but find it interesting that Fuse No. 2 keeps popping up or just leave it it at popping.

Kingsley

Reatta Specialty Parts, LLC - Home

McReatta - thanks. Per 8A-11-2, I have been reading Fuse 2 as working through S209 and going to C210; through C200 to S311on 8A-11-3 to LH and RH turn signal relays C & D in the Micro Center Relay as well as to the Trunk Light, KEM, door lock switches, outside mirrors, power door locks & door warning lights. How does the conflict with Fuse No. 7

come about?

Yep, I have had the pleasure of accessing S311 and have some inconsistencies there but have been scratching my head over the turn signal switch activity.

Thanks.

Kingsley

Guest Mc_Reatta

Aha, reading the FSM again. Sounds like your looking for trouble. :rolleyes:

I can't quite understand why (other than the engineer went off the deep end while redesigning the circuits for the 90s convertibles and late production coupes) but they decided to add a redundant power source to power the inner two rear stop/turn lamps by adding two relays and running power from fuse 2 thru them to the inner two stop/turn lights.

It doesn't make much sense to me for a company that watched every penny like a hawk to add these two relays and extra wiring. If the purpose was to provide redundancy in case a fuse was blown, that was lost by powering those relays from the same fuse as the other 4 lamps. If the reason was to remove some of the electrical load from the primary fuse, (two lamps isn't that much load) then it would have been easier just to up the rating of the primary fuse.

So if fuse 2 blows you will have all turn signal lights and hazard/brake lights except the innermost two of the six in the rear light. If fuse 7 blows you will not have any turn signals, even the inner rear two, but you will have all the hazard/brake lights. If fuse 6 blows you won't have any hazard/ brake lights, but you will have all the turn signal lights. So I don't see what those two relays and power from fuse 2 buys you.

Guest Kingsley

McReatta - I certainly am not looking for trouble, I have more than enough as it is!

As it is now, with C200 and C210 disconnected and no load on the footwell circuitry, looks like I have a dead short in Fuse No. 2 circuitry.

Agree? Thanks.

Aha, reading the FSM again. Sounds like your looking for trouble. :rolleyes:

I can't quite understand why (other than the engineer went off the deep end while redesigning the circuits for the 90s convertibles and late production coupes) but they decided to add a redundant power source to power the inner two rear stop/turn lamps by adding two relays and running power from fuse 2 thru them to the inner two stop/turn lights.

It doesn't make much sense to me for a company that watched every penny like a hawk to add these two relays and extra wiring. If the purpose was to provide redundancy in case a fuse was blown, that was lost by powering those relays from the same fuse as the other 4 lamps. If the reason was to remove some of the electrical load from the primary fuse, (two lamps isn't that much load) then it would have been easier just to up the rating of the primary fuse.

So if fuse 2 blows you will have all turn signal lights and hazard/brake lights except the innermost two of the six in the rear light. If fuse 7 blows you will not have any turn signals, even the inner rear two, but you will have all the hazard/brake lights. If fuse 6 blows you won't have any hazard/ brake lights, but you will have all the turn signal lights. So I don't see what those two relays and power from fuse 2 buys you.

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

If you have connectors C200 and 210 disconnected and still have your short, then the FSM indicates it must be in the orange wire that runs from the fuse block up to splice 209 behind the dash in the right footwell near the shroud and from there to the footwell lights under the left and right side of the dash and to those two connectors. You'll need to pull the covers under the dash and check the orange wires for where they may be being pinched or rubbed on something.

Guest Kingsley

McReatta - I have jumpered and fused the hot side of fuse No. 2 and detect a ground in five of the orange wires crossing side to side and ending up with a splice getting down to I believe two or three orange and one black with red stripe wire. Have broken that connection and now have at least four of the five leading rearward, driver side, and 1 or 2 leading forward same side. Do not recall the gauge of the orange but they are small. More later on tomorrow.

Kingsley

If you have connectors C200 and 210 disconnected and still have your short, then the FSM indicates it must be in the orange wire that runs from the fuse block up to splice 209 behind the dash in the right footwell near the shroud and from there to the footwell lights under the left and right side of the dash and to those two connectors. You'll need to pull the covers under the dash and check the orange wires for where they may be being pinched or rubbed on something.

Guest Kingsley

Connector 210 - the location of which is described well earlier by McReatta. Does anyone know the pin layout of this? It is an 8 pin connector but from what I see only three pins/sockets involved only one of which is orange. Just found it - orange is "B"

Connector 200 - cavity A1 - socket half shows orange - pin half show just a dash. Why not orange? Also FSM shows circuit 740 and feel sure that they are talking about 340. Cell number 11 is correct.

Latest - with connector 200 and 210 pins/sockets separated, Fuse No. 2 hot side jumpered through 20A fuse to test light - when contact is made with orange wire on left and right footwell courtesy lights, test light reacts as if it is grounded. Tracing back to S209 as McReatta suggested.

Now working with C200 cavity A1 which has two orange wires coming out and presumably running to the rear down passenger side and then to S311 crosswise and something a bit inconsistent so concentrating on this now.

Kingsley

Kingsley