The new arrival, here are some pics

So I picked this Riviera up for next to nothing. The radiator and battery were stolen sometime over the last 12 years as its been parked in outdoor storage. The headlight motor was removed prior to the previous owner getting possession, so that will be my stumbling block right now. The car is solid, practically no rust has been found yet, the doors close solidly. The body is extremely straight. There is one dent in the passenger door. The Glass will require alot of polishing, the upholstery is shot and dry rotted and the engine,trans and rear will all get rebuilt. My plans are a frame off restore to daily driver (but I'll drive it just on weekends) I dont know what color scheme I will go with yet, still debating.

What do you guys think? I think it looks good for a 12 year old outdoor stored veteran.

0587.JPG0588.JPG0589.JPG0590.JPG0592.JPG0594.JPG

Congrats on your find. The dent in the passengers door should be an easy fix. The door skins on the 63 - 65 Rivieras bolt on. You can take it off and work out the dent from the back side. If by chance the metal is stretched and can't be worked back, I have a passenger side skin off a '65 that's in good shape. It's off of a car with the custom interior so it has the ribbed panels on the rocker panels which your car doesn't have. Let me know if I can help.

I also have a headlight motor and some actuating arms, but I don't know what the motor is out of. I've had a couple of '66's and 67's but not a '65. Chances are it's probably for a second generation car. If you can find a part number for the motor you need, let me know and I'll check to see what I have.

Before starting a frame off, especially if you've never done a 1st generation Riviera, make sure that what you have is complete and running well before you start tearing it apart. You'll get to know the car better and you'll be able to enjoy it while your making of your list of parts and services that you'll be needing. Speaking from experience here, if you don't drive it for a while, you're liable to loose interest in it. Good luck.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

OK Alini: Yeah. Standard interior, power windows and a/c. Good equipment. The color is up to you as long as it blends with blue in some way. The no-rust factor is happier than a 70 degree day with low humidity.....and it's a 65 Riv. These cars have been sleeping for way too long. Much more car than people think. Enjoy, Mitch.

Nice find, you found a real diamond on the rough! Its great that you are saving this car. Have fun and this forum is a great resource along with the ROA. You even have the trunk lock cover and wood steering wheel man! Those are always the first things to get ripped off.

That looks like a great car to start with. Check the lower channel on the rear window for rust. That is where rust all starts on a Riv. Once there is a rust hole in that channel it leads to a rusted trunk floor and 1/4's. I like that it has a wood wheel and cruise control. I wish mine had both. Hold on to your hat when you go looking for a headlight motor. One that works is a little pricey. This website has been a great help to me in finding answers to ?'s and in finding parts. Being a member of the ROA was a great help as well. Please post more pics after you clean it up some. Good luck.

We got the car home today. It fit in the garage alot better than I expected. Here is what I have found so far. Factory 401 Nailhead, 65 Riviera number 34090, built in Nov so a Late car. Was originally Astro Blue, but was resprayed once with a 66 Corvette Midnight Blue. Original Blue Vinyl interior with power driver seat, Cruise, power antenna, rear speaker and rear arm rest. It also has the vacuum trunk release. I dont have Posi, but thats all good. The floor and trunk are solid. The doors and roof have surface rust. the interior is all cracked and I was planning a new color pallet anyway.

I am missing a radiator (the shroud is here buy chewed up), a hood emblem, the right front fender chrome trim, the trim/seal for the rear windows...oh and they keys! the owner lost them. the engine can be turned over....with a little force. The tranny fluid is there and actually looks good! I'm rebuilding it all anyway.

Tomorrow is cleaning and some light disassembly. We anticipate a 2 year project (willing to accept longer) frame off restoration with some custom touches by us. Excited to have it here an in the garage.

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Your car sounds like a good place to start. A radiator shouldn't be that hard to find. Shrouds are reproduced. I didn't have a key for my '64 so I pulled a door skin and took the lock off. I took the lock to a locksmith who had an old book; he looked at the number stamped on the lock and cut me a new key. Worked perfectly. Luckily in '65 the same key works all of the lock. I'm going to look at a couple of Rivs in a little town where my sister lives. If there's a good fender molding, I'll pull it and let you know. If you find one first, let me know. Horn bars for the wood steering wheel are being reproduced by Buickbonehead. A car built in November would be an earlier production model. The 1965 production year probably ran from Aug 0r '64 through Jun or July of '65. Buick only built 34,586 Rivieras, including Gran Sports, so I'd say that FB number you're looking at is total Buick production for '65. Still a nice car, well optioned, and a good starting point. Have fun.

Ed

PS - Are you going to have those funky wheels rechromed?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The front rim was a junker I picked up to tow it. I have the rally sport rims and I think I only need to polish them. They have no rust and just need the charcoal paint cleaned up