E-M-F 30 Cross Country Adventure

Guest EMF-Owner

Guest EMF-Owner

I thought I would let you all know that one of our E-M-F 30 Registry Members will be traveling cross-country in their 1912 E-M-F 30 5-Passenger touring and blogging about it as they go. They will be officially starting in a couple of days, but have already posted some information.

If you are interested in following their adventure, you can find the blog on the E-M-F Homepage at the following URL:

E-M-F Homepage - Swan 2012 E-M-F Touring Adventure

Thought some of you may find it interesting. I know I will be following their adventure.

Happy Motoring.

John

I just got the itinerary last night. Looks like we'll have 27 cars, many more than I anticipated. The first day we see the Auburn Heights Preserve. It's supposed to have the largest collection of Stanleys in the world... Can't wait..

Frank

Guest EMF-Owner
One more thing. John, can you tell me what is the "coveted LeRoy Award"?

Frank

Frank,

The "Coveted LeRoy Award" is a prestigious sterling silver cup awarded at each E-M-F Registry tour. The contest is to write about the tour in the style of E-M-F publicist E. LeRoy Pelletier. The cup is passed from winner to winner. I was the winner at the last tour in 2010 and I am mailing off the trophy cup today.

John

Only the brave of heart will be sleeping in tents. Most of us will be in Lancaster for the week of July 22 and will be sleeping in the Hotel. One day I'll venture out on a 500 mile or so trip, but not this year...

Frank

Guest EMF-Owner
... They started out with 4 EMF's, but 2 of them ran into trouble in Arizona. One broke a crankshaft and one cracked a jug. Check out the status:

Actually only one of the cars is an E-M-F and the last I heard, it was going strong. The car that broke a crankshaft was a 1910 Parry Model 40. Not sure what the car was that had Rear End Trouble.

The E-M-F Owners story is the one blogged on the E-M-F Homepage at E-M-F Homepage - Swan 2012 E-M-F Touring Adventure

You can also read from the perspective of the 1910 Parry (whose crankshaft broke) at

Horseless Carriage Club | Blog about HCCA

As Far as I know, the E-M-F, a Brass Era Buick and a 1910 or so Ford Model T are still going. They may have even reached their Destination by now. I have not received an update to post in a couple days.

They are doing what I want to do someday.

Happy Motoring.

John

"Departure from Tuba City on the Navajo Reservation was early again to beat the heat but everyone was rested after an early arrival in Tuba City last night. Check out the photo of one of our old cars driving into the sunrise this morning. I had a conversation with a Navajo man last night who gave me a little historical tidbit for us "Brass Era" people. Did you know old cars were called "spiders" by the Navajo? During the early 20th century census takers came onto the reservation in their black Model T's, crisscrossing to take their census. The Navajo did not have a word for "car" as they had never seen one so they used a word that, in their language, best described the Model T - a little black thing that scurried about the desert, ie. a "spider"."

Great little story from the EMF site!