Sign in to follow this  
Old26Buick

Glue to use on runningboards ona 27 Buick

I need to find a good glue to attach rubber runningboard material to painted wooden runningboards. Thanks

I need to find a good glue to attach rubber runningboard material to painted wooden runningboards. Thanks

This is just a thought, I sometimes use "Weldwood" brand contact cement. I would just brush on a 3/4" strip around the perimeter of the running board and the matting, follow the bottle's directions, and it should do you well. I don't think you need to put a full layer of glue over the whole surfaces, but this is just an opinion. good luck, Pete.

Old26, I too used Weldwood, but the waterproof contact cement product. I apply it to the entire surface and then roll it (with my wife's wooden rolling pin) from the middle out. I usually do this when the wood is off the car, but the flat carriage bolts in the wood. Remember to leave a cushion of extra material at each end too. The rubber matting will shrink just a bit when glued to the wood. This extra material can be removed after the glue and material have had a chance to cure together. I usually wait a couple of weeks.