Timing hole cover on straight eight

I was at a car show benefitting Wounded Warrior Project last Saturday and saw something I consider rare, or maybe not. A fellow I know from the area has a 1940 4 door Super that he is slowly restoring and when I looked into the engine bay I saw a cover over the timing hole on the passenger side bell housing over the starter. I have one for both my Buicks but I had to search them out as the cars were missing them when I acquired them.

Is this rare to see the timing hole cover in place on a straight eight?

Joe, BCA 33493

If anybody needs better pictures or dimensions so they can reproduce this cover, just let me know. I would be glad to provide them. As Bob said, it looks like it would be pretty easy to make.

I'm between projects and might knock out a few. Send some pix and dimensions to bhigdog1@ptd.net and I'll take a look...................Bob

I'm between projects and might knock out a few. Send some pix and dimensions to bhigdog1@ptd.net and I'll take a look...................Bob

No Problem. I'll get those for you tomorrow and send them to you. I wonder if they're the same size through the years/models? Might want to check into that with a parts book before you start making a bunch.

Here is the data I have. These were all in Group 0.714.

1942-52 All, 1953 Series 40 excluding Dynaflow - 1304344

1948-52 Series 70 Dynaflow - 1317033

1949 Series 50 DF, 1950-52 Series 40, 50, 1953 Series 40 DF - 1337540

1953 Series 50,70 - 1346816

Joe, BCA 33493

Yup, That's what I show. Cost $.18. I would have thought they would have stayed the same from day one. Maybe be different between C.T. and DF. Oh well...................Bob