Engine noise

Guest Sue Bell

Guest Sue Bell

Today on my way home from work I started hearing a gritty noise, driver's front half shaft (I thought) has been noisy recently and I thought maybe it was getting worse. By the time I got home it was very noisy, and I see it is coming from the passenger side of the engine where all the belts are. The belts seem to all be in place. Almost sounds like a fan rubbing, but still sounds gritty like there may be pieces of something in there. I will have a mechanic see it later this week. Any first thoughts on what it might be?

Sue

Guest Jim_McNally

From previous posts I think you have an '89. For either engine, the only differences on that end of the engine are specific parts like the TB tensioner, but in any case it sounds like a bad bearing in something belt driven. If you want to try, you could loosen the belt and try turning the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc. by hand - if one of the bearings is bad you should be able to feel it. If it's none of those, it could be the timing belt tensioner bearing - they dry out and start to sound awful.

If it's loud enough to be heard over the engine noise, I'd get it found and fixed ASAP - don't want to break a belt and get stranded if a bearing freezes, and if your waterpump went and you overheat, you're looking at major head work...

Jim

Guest Sue Bell

Thanks for responding! I am not driving it until it's fixed, still waiting for the mechanic to stop over. I am leaning toward tensioner or bearing also. Hopefully it is something that can be repaired without too much trouble. My husband was my mechanic, but he passed away last Thanksgiving. It's tough to have to rely on someone else. I appreciate all the help you give me when I have questions. :)

Sue

Guest Jim_McNally

Sorry to hear about your husband - I lost my wife last year too. It's tough in most other ways as well...

We're all happy to help.

Jim McNally