Is this a 340 engine

according to the standard catalogue of Buick, there is a stamped code on the right side of the engine block. The book does not say where but I bet is is behind the barcket for the alternator and will require some degreasing to determine what it is.

A 300 cu In engine can have a code NL or NM

A 340 engine could have a code: NB, NX, or NA.

Both a 300 and a 340 could have had a 2 bbl carb so the intake is of little use in making a determination. But since you lknow it is a Special, a Special Deluxe could have the 340, while a plain special would have the 300.

A Special with the 300 would have model series # 43400, and the Special Deluxe would have model series number 43600. Do not get confused with these model #'s. All Specials will start 433 and have two more digits representingthe various models produced that year. Same thing with the Special Deluxe. They will all start 436 with two more numbers. The vin # should be on the drivers door A pillar, and the model # starts at the 2nd position.

Hope this helps.

I don't have Vin info but data plate is 67-44469FL1. I was told it was a special. But I didn't check.I thought if I found out which intake it had would tell if it was 300 or 340. The valve covers look more of angle.

The valve covers won't help you, but the intake on a 340 is wider. I checked that number in the American V-8 database and it doesn't come up, but I think the info in there is wrong, as it has the same number for the 300 and 340 intakes.

Valve covers were up and down until the 1966 or 1967 model year, so they could share a family appearance with the Nailhead. I saw a '67 300 in a junkyard with the valve covers from your picture.

That is the engine serial number, it should match the last 8 digits of the VIN. All it says is that the engine is a 1967 (7), built at Flint, MI (H) with a sequence number of 236911 (starting at 100001). You need to find the engine production code. The factory chassis manual says it is stamped on a flat surface between the middle branches of the passenger side exhaust manifold. It should be the letters "NL" for the 300 or "NA" for the 340 followed by some numbers.