Hood Ornimate Question

Guest CoryH

Guest CoryH

Hello!

This is my first post and I'm excited to be here. I enjoy working on cars but my expertise ends there. I am horrible at pricing antique parts that don't directly deal with the mechanical side of things. So, I'm sure someone here can help!

I recently went picking and found some old hood ornaments. I have been able to verify one but this one I'm not sure of. My question is 2 parts:

1. Is this a 1949 Cadillac "Goddess" hood ornament?

2. I've been thinking about having it sandblasted and re-chromed. Is this a good idea? Or should I keep it original? If its worth anything original I'm going to try and sell it, if I'll have it re-chromed and build a cool desk piece.

Here are some pics:

08cbc484.jpg

c34f463a.jpg

4f55cc57.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!!

Pretty expensive paperweight! It will probably run you $400-$500 to replate that ornament to a good quality and DEFINATELY do not try to do it yourself! Your best bet ,if you are considering selling it, is to sell it as is !

Guest CoryH

@58Mustang: Haha trust me. I wouldn't do anything to it personally, I've made that mistake before.

@JPage: I am going to have it looked at tomorrow to see how much it will be to re-finish it. The owner of the shop is a family friend so hopefully he will cut me a deal. *crosses fingers*

@Shop Rat: Thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. It is very much appreciated. After further inspection I think it is a 53'. I am going to be home tonight and will take closer pictures of the face itself. That seems to be the tale-tale part.

@drwatson: Thank you as well for all your help as well. I had never seen the Chilton parts book before. EXTREMELY helpful with some other projects I have going. ty :)

CoryH, you are most welcome. I was kind of surprised :eek: when I simple typed in Cadillac part number 1456358 (the correct number :rolleyes::D ) in the Yahoo Search bar and that photo popped up. :) And the amount of detail in the face does seem to change from year to year if you look at earlier editons of that hood ornament.

Guest CoryH

:confused: I tried googling the part number a million times and could never find anything. I am guessing it is because I never added "Cadillac" with it. Now I feel dumb.