Removing rear wheel on 29 Oakland

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I have to change seals on the rear wheel of my 29 Oakland. How do I remove the wheel? I removed the axil nut and lock washer. Is there any other things I have to remove. In my book it shows a wheel puller for this job. I would assume it screws onto the threads that the hub cap uses. Is there any way I can get one of these pullers or can I make one. If i can make one, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

The best and easiest way is as keiser suggests.

Next best is a puller that screws on to the axle...you jack up the opposite side, having the wheel you wish to remove on the ground. Then you hit the end of the puller a very sharp blow with a large hammer (something like a small sledge). You have to hit it hard.

Next (and I used this for years before I had the other two types of pullers. Same method as above only you hit the axle nut that you have backed off so it is flush with the end of the axle.

Guest oakland
Can you give us the threads per inch count and the diameter? I have a couple of hub pullers here, but I do not know what they fit.

Keiser 31, Have you had a chance to check the wheel pullers you have?

Keiser 31, Have you had a chance to check the wheel pullers you have?

Just found one a few minutes ago...2 1/4" diameter and 24 threads per inch. Sorry. I am certain that the others I have are smaller.

Guest Wayne_Koffel
I have to change seals on the rear wheel of my 29 Oakland. How do I remove the wheel? I removed the axil nut and lock washer. Is there any other things I have to remove. In my book it shows a wheel puller for this job. I would assume it screws onto the threads that the hub cap uses. Is there any way I can get one of these pullers or can I make one. If i can make one, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Sometimes, in fact in many cases, a wheel puller WILL NOT remove the drum and wheel. I have personally had to remove the whole axle and use a press at the machine shop to press the axle out. And it let go with such force that it cracked the concrete floor. When using that wheel puller, don't stand behind it if it lets go. If your lucky enough to get it off, there is an inner and outer seal. It is necessary to remove the axle to get the inner seal. And cleam up the tapered spline and hole in drum before putting together. Using some "never seize " when reinstalling will make it easier to remove next time.

Wayne koffel

President and Tech Director, Oakland Owners Club, International

Guest oakland
Sometimes, in fact in many cases, a wheel puller WILL NOT remove the drum and wheel. I have personally had to remove the whole axle and use a press at the machine shop to press the axle out. And it let go with such force that it cracked the concrete floor. When using that wheel puller, don't stand behind it if it lets go. If your lucky enough to get it off, there is an inner and outer seal. It is necessary to remove the axle to get the inner seal. And cleam up the tapered spline and hole in drum before putting together. Using some "never seize " when reinstalling will make it easier to remove next time.

Wayne koffel

President and Tech Director, Oakland Owners Club, International

I had a guy from a machine shop make me a wheel puller to remove the rear wheel. It is 2 13/16"-16 threads per inch. got the wheel removed and the outer seal. Can not get the key out of thevkeyway. Can someone tell me how to remove the bearing? I know it has an inner and outer race and is a roller bearing, but how do you get it out. No way to get a bearing puller in there. I was thinking maybe I will have to remove the axil. If this is the case , how do you do this? thanks

Guest Wayne_Koffel
I had a guy from a machine shop make me a wheel puller to remove the rear wheel. It is 2 13/16"-16 threads per inch. got the wheel removed and the outer seal. Can not get the key out of thevkeyway. Can someone tell me how to remove the bearing? I know it has an inner and outer race and is a roller bearing, but how do you get it out. No way to get a bearing puller in there. I was thinking maybe I will have to remove the axil. If this is the case , how do you do this? thanks

It is actually fairly easy to do. Take the rear differential cover off. Make sure you have something to allow the grease to drip into. Look inside and you'll see a square block in the center of the ring gear. There is a pin that goes thru the ring gear and that block. There is a screw that holds the pin in. Unscrew the lock screw, push out the pin (if it doesn't already fall out), pull the square block out and remove the axles by pulling them out. Re-assemble the same way, just be carefull the small gears inside are not disturbed. But if they are, just put them back in place.