65 Riv rebuild

I have a 65 Riv w/ the original 401 engine in it. The motor just died and it needs to be rebuilt. One shop qouted $2,500 and said the engine would be "balanced". What did he mean by that and how important is that for a rebuilt engine. Also, any suggestions I should give them before they rebuild the motor to increase performance and durability?

is 2500 to remove your engine , rebuild it,install? if not , then that seems high for just a rebuild. does it include carb work, ignition work (new plug wires), bolt ons (water pump,fuel pump, alternator,starter...).<BR>i would hope for that amount , you would get a complete fresh engine (from carb,to oil pump) with all the bolt ons.

No, balanceing would not be needed in a unraced street engine, but it wouldn't hurt. But I would have to ask how may Buick Nailheads he has balanced. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

That 2,500 was to remove the engine, rebuild w/ new water and oil pump,timing gear etc. He gave a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty for his work. I didn't ask if he had balanced a nailhead before but he had rebuilt them and seemed very knowledgeable. I will ask him if he has. Thanks for the help!