adding trick shift/type F fluid to TH400.......

i have a shift kit but will adding F type fluid make my shifts firmer still....??...and how much do i add,just a couple of qts or what...?????.....thanks for any info

You change it ALL over don't you?<P>I run Type F fuild in 2 TH350s with shift kits, but run all of one type of Fluid.<P>A Trans holds around 10 Qts of fluid (depending on your converter size, pan ect.)<BR>If you add just one Qt. it will be diluted, unless its a "concentrate" or "additive".

Adding a few quarts of type F to Dexron will still be dexron and if you add a few quarts of dexron to type F it will also become dexron. <BR> GM wanted their transmissions to shift without the passangers feeling it so they are set up to shift slowly. After the whole industry moved that way Ford started to use Dexron also. <BR> I think that "Trick Shift" and some of those other additives are just Type F. The problem with GM transmissions is that it is harder to drain the Torque Converter. <BR> The bottom line is that you have to change all the fluid to type F for it to make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Ford spec Type F fluid has a more agressive intial fluid characteristic than the Dexron fluids. That's why it has a "quicker" shift in a trans designed for Dexron. TrickShift is a B&M transmission fluid which approximates the Type F shift characteristics in non-Ford transmissions.<P>Later Ford transmissions, switched to Dexron fluids and their current Mercon fluid is basically the same as Dexron and many makers claim they are interchangeable.<P>Also be aware that many of the newer Ford and Chrysler transmissions/transaxles require trans fluids of particular specifications which can't be deviated away from and are necessary to keep the trans from cooking.<P>I have observed that the current Dexron III and the previous Dexron IIE fluids tend to shift cleaner than the previous Dexron II fluids. Might have something to do with the electronic controls of the current GM transmissions needing a little different viscosity package or something.<P>The previous Turbo 350, 375, and 400 transmissions will tolerate Type F with no problems (from previous experiences). In doing a change over from Dexron to Type F or other fluids, it might be advisable to do an extra fluid change after the initial fluid and filter change when going to the other fluid. The shift quality will be a little crisper and firmer with the Type F fluid.<P>The flush procedures now in vogue at the service centers require an operator that will carefully monitor the fluid replacement machine--I'd rather invest in a few more pan gaskets and do a couple of fluid changes instead, personally.<P>Enjoy!