What's Up With This Stuff?

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Something has been bugging me lately. The firewall on my car is absolutely CAKED with sealant. It is THICK with the stuff. Some of it has original paint over it as seen in the pictures, but some of it is black. I've looked at a lot of pictures of other '51 and '52 cars and I've never seen this much sealant on the firewall. For a comparison, I included a picture below of what is supposed to be an all-original unrestored '51. Look how clean the firewall is! Could someone at the factory have gone absolutely nuts with the sealant for some reason? Maybe it was his first day on the job?

post-75106-143139062365_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139062371_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139062376_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139062381_thumb.jpg

Robert

Yours is normal...the other one has been restored.

Willie

I second that. My un-restored (still...) '56 looks the same -- caked with body caulking/sealant everywhere on the firewall that two pieces of metal come together.

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for the responses guys. The only thing that made me think it might not be original is the fact that some of it is black and some of it has been painted over. People talk about cars being "over restored" and coming out looking better than they did from the factory. I guess this is one case where I might agree with over restoring it. I would be heavily tempted to leave all of that junk off of the firewall during restoration(or at least cutting down on the amount). Anyway, thanks again guys.

Chris, that's not my radiator. Mine is still MIA(update on the My Buick page).

Guest GaWajn

10-Clipremoved-06.jpg

That's picture of my unmolested 1952 Pontiac. Notice the painted over gunk ... as described in the above posts.

Guest chevy_dude97

mine has this on it too, looks like it is anywhere water ma have leaked into the cab as the way the fire wall and all the grommets going into the cab are horizontal and appear they would freely leak without it.

Back in the day the dealers also had a product similar to this to patch where the factory missed, usually in the trunk area. One of the products was called "dum-dum". anybody recall it?

Joe, BCA 33493

3M sells a putty that I've heard a lot of people refer to as dum-dum, but it comes in a flat box of little 1/4-wide strips, so I doubt it's the same thing, it would take a ton of the stuff to use for patching. It's useful for wrapping little blobs around wires to stick them in place out of sight, and the like.

Guest 54fins

That sealant is pretty common, the factory seemed to use it quite freely- must have been cheap! It must not be silicon based as paint seems to stick to it, but it's not tar. More like putty- silly putty! I call it Dum Dum but that may not be accurate. The factory also seemed to go nuts with the undercoat tar too. The cowl looks so much better without it, but gobs of it would better approximate original.

Guest Foggy norm

Did Buick's have a wire harness wrapped in black tape?, it appear's to be covering the tape, unpainted area. The other car look's unrestored...after it was restored....

It was called DUM DUM by factory workers, because it was a DUM fix. They had it thin enough to even throw on with a stiff brush, and often smoothed out with ones finger or hand, NOT TO WELL I MIGHT ADD.

Sure it severed a purpose, it sealed pinch welds and any place leaks might occur. I'm sure BONDO has since been used in its place, and OFTEN.

Most stores like NAPA don't have a clue as to what DUM DUM is. There are exceptions though.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Looking at your pictures of DUM DUM, the other car has a radiator issue tooooooooooooo.

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

:DI've wondered about that myself. That picture was from a set of pictures I got from a guy that was trying to sell a '51 Special. I can't figure out what the owner was trying to do with that on there. It looks like there was a leak on that hose. Surely he wasn't trying to tie it off tight with a piece of rope!