Sign in to follow this  
hiyudon

1954 New Yorker tranny Fluid

Hello All,

What type of tranny fluid do I put in my Powerflite transmission? I think it's supposed to be Dexron Mercon lll, but am not positve.

All help appreciated.

thank you,

don

Benefits of AACA Membership.

My gut suspicion is that the original fluid was "Type A Automatic Transmission Fluid".

There have been MANY discussions about whether you should try to chase some of that down, via some older, independent auto supplies (or even neighborhood convenience stores or super markets!) or upgrade to the latest replacement for that fluid (which is the GM Dexron-family fluid, but NOT necessarily the newer Dexron VI). The Dex VI is reputed to be a semi-syn fluid, which can explain the higher price.

The earlier GM Dexron-family "prior" fluids are now usually marketed as "Multi-Make" automatic transmission fluid. On the back of the bottle, the dialogue might well say the main spec for the fluid is GM Dexron III or Mercon IV.

Your judgment call . . .

NTX5467

I use dexron III in my '54 chrysler, works fine. I bought type A a couple of years ago (hard to find but it exists) and can't say i felt any difference.