New "Barn Finds" Show To Be Made For Travel Channel

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I've heard rumors of this show being produced. I couldn't find any hard evidence until now. I don't know any details or dates but I'm excited for this one. I think it's a great idea for a show. Kind of seems like the working man's version of Chasing Classic Cars. It's based off of a recent Hot Rod TV episode entitled "Barn Finds". It was a great episode hosted by Corky Coker of Coker Tire fame. He traveled around looking for barn find cars to buy and restore. Here is a small excerpt of text from the article I found via Google. I can't wait for this to air!

"America's Travel Channel says it has given the green light to three pilots and is developing two original travel series to air this year. New pilots include "Barn Finds," featuring antique car expert Corky Coker, who travels the back roads and small towns of the Deep South searching for priceless, rare American cars and automotive memorabilia"

As long as they are REAL! I still think back to the Mustang GT350 that was presented as a "barn find" on Coddington's show (never did like that guy at all). They brushed off a pile of straw and a NEW tarp was covering the Mustang. They pushed it out and by some miraculous intervention the battery was charged and it started without hesitation!

These staged "finds" are ridiculous and should not be shown. I have been fortunate to find a few over the years, but I have NEVER misrepresented them blatantly as these TV shows do.

Great.....another couple of guys showing the public now much quick money there is in finding a car in an octogenarian's garage and creating another "awesome" street rod. Sorry, especially having just caught my first episode of "Fast N Loud" I am not excited about what cable TV can do for the old car hobby. Todd C

While in Las Vegas last fall we made the obligatory swing by the "Pawn Stars" shop, which is crowded now, bell to bell as I understand it. Stopped in a place next door, and the guy at the counter was telling us the crew is hardly ever there anymore. local chat was that "Chum Lee" apparently had just picked up his new Maserati so I doubt he is as dumb in real life as the show leads one to believe. God Bless him!! :)

That said, I did like the interview with "The old man" in the latest Hagartey magazine, a real car guy.

Google is amazing, here is a smiling Chum Lee in his new ride, and some interesting trivia concerning the "Pawn Star's" income - Hey, anyone legally making a fortune that is not at my expense is A-ok in my book - good for them!! :D

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1061511_austin-chumlee-russell-haggles-his-way-into-a-maserati

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added link (see edit history)

Great.....another couple of guys showing the public now much quick money there is in finding a car in an octogenarian's garage and creating another "awesome" street rod. Sorry, especially having just caught my first episode of "Fast N Loud" I am not excited about what cable TV can do for the old car hobby. Todd C

Ditto

I've only found one that I would consider a true barn find in my life and it was nothing at all like what is portrayed on television.

When they start showing the mounds of rodent turds, black widow eggs, live black widows crawling from the trunk with tons of webs everywhere and surrounded by so many old tools you can't even get next to it then maybe I'll watch. Until then it's all just obvious staged sensationalism.

I will say that Corkys is about the closest to reality but I still think they need to show the real dirt of the finds.

Guest shadetree77

Hopefully Corky's show will have an emphasis on restoration and not hot rodding like Fast and Loud. Im sure some will be staged but not all of them. Check out this video from youtube. Its not from the new show but maybe it will be indicative of it. These look like real "barn/carport finds" to me.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4fCkhia_ko" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

As much as I like cars, I rarely watch any TV shows about them. Two thoughts on this show.

1. Even if they start out with a few legitimate barn finds, eventually they will start doing fake staged ones. Can't be easy to come up with new barn finds every week.

2. I hope not for this show, but most "restorations" end up being rods and customs.

"Fast and Loud" is pointless entertainment IMO. There is a plethora of other car shows in the same flavor. With exception of Chasing Classic Cars what do we have? "Barn Finds?" First few episodes certainly will be barn finds and restoration. From then on with sponsorship that sells performance parts the show will take that road of rods and muscle. Ultimately it boils down to what makes the most money for the 20 minutes of actual show and 10 minutes of parts advertising. We certainly will not see advertising for old car NOS or reproduced parts. We will be fed aluminum intakes, four barrel chromed carbs and glass packs.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

"Fast and Loud" is pointless entertainment IMO. There is a plethora of other car shows in the same flavor. With exception of Chasing Classic Cars what do we have? "Barn Finds?" First few episodes certainly will be barn finds and restoration. From then on with sponsorship that sells performance parts the show will take that road of rods and muscle. Ultimately it boils down to what makes the most money for the 20 minutes of actual show and 10 minutes of parts advertising. We certainly will not see advertising for old car NOS or reproduced parts. We will be fed aluminum intakes, four barrel chromed carbs and glass packs.

Great post Chris.

That about sums it doesn't it ? Exactly why we won't ever see a true "barn find t.v. program for the early models especially". After all, we all know corporate greed controls the big show that much we all see plainly no matter what side of the isle we fall on politically.

And for anyone who has a problem with this and maybe thinking we are all "a bunch of fuddy duds, old timers or simpletons", first think about what started it all. Without the classic beginnings none of us would have an interest in vehicles, period!. So I say great respect is due, especially to any pre war barn finds. Forget the 60's, 70's and so on...., if it's not early, it really shouldn't even be considered in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great appreciation for the beginnings of the muscle car era of the 50's, 60's and 70's no doubt, but to count off the early stuff as "old and feabile" or "slow and stupid" (as some in the muscle/hotrod/ratrod world do) is an outright mistake. Any true classic no matter if it's the early 20's or 70's has a place in all of our history and that's what we really want uncovered by programs such as these and not to pit one particular group over the other as better than one another. That to me dimenishes what the hobby as a whole could potentially be if we all come together and have the same honest respect for all of the "original" ones that is. Ratrods should be and I believe will one day be excluded eventually. Hotrods,,, ? Now that's a whole nother matter....

You'll never take the muscle out of the American spirit especially. But likewise, you'll never take the appreciation of our humble beginnings away either.

Give me the early to mid 20s Screensides or Panels but also give me the 70 GTX 440 magnum lime green (both very limited by the way) and I'll show you a common ground you'll never seperate that's called the "Love for the American Automobile".

Of course, I am partial to the 28-32's personally :D but love them all.

In my opinion, Corkys is the only one that will come closest in our lifetime.

Disclaimer:

This thinking should not exclude early foriegn classics, speedsters, motorcycles etc...as well since there are some real beauts in the overseas market, and other motor vehicle departments as well.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I find that looking in the garage of form members is much more interesting. As to barn finds, I seem to pull more cars out of shipping containers and garages were they have slept for 20 or more years. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Hopefully Corky's show will have an emphasis on restoration and not hot rodding like Fast and Loud. Im sure some will be staged but not all of them. Check out this video from youtube. Its not from the new show but maybe it will be indicative of it. These look like real "barn/carport finds" to me.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4fCkhia_ko" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

That was more of a carport find than a barn find.

He hasn't shown up on here as a " '39 Buick Team member " yet !!! :):):)

It looks like a nice, complete '39 Century. I wonder where it is now.:confused:

Danny

Barnfind, what a grossly over-rated phrase. How old does it have to be to qualify? How deep does the straw, chicken crap, mouse droppings, or dirt have to be? Or, how deep does the bull- ___ from the seller have to be? Once these reality shows hit the airwaves the hobby takes a huge hit and everybody thinks they have, or knows someone who, has a goldmine ripe for the taking. People will just love you poking around their property. I think that I will line my garage with old barnwood and leave the garage door open. Nuts, I forgot I live in the city.

To me a barn find is a rare car. One that was not numerous in production or has a special option package that sets the particular vehicle apart. IMO just because it sits in a barn covered in God knows what does not make it any better than the same vehicle down the road under a tarp. Chasing Classic Cars does look to broadcast such vehicles found in a barn type place and are a bit more special. Sometimes not. Specifically the episode where a Volvo is actually in a barn but not a rarity of a car to pursue a quality restoration but good enough to enter into the barn find class because, well, it was in a barn after all. I digress.

For a show like this that will attempt to be a true restoration show it will have to broadcast over a few years every item repaired, replaced, painted and refurbished on one vehicle. I'm not quite sure if that will hold the attention of a viewing crowd in any number for very long. Only shows like Overhauling can provide a fixed up car to the viewer in one hour. All be it bits and pieces of entire weeks work uninterrupted with a team of 30 at the ready backed up by a performance company providing performance part at little to no cost to the show. I don't see that as feasible in a true restoration type show.

Guest PhippsAuto

"Fast N' Loud" is being filmed on our property; the Gas Monkey Garage rents our back building, while we use the front one for our business (Phipps Auto). My husband, who runs Phipps Auto, likes to work on classic cars and is hoping some old car buffs might bring new business to him, since the Gas Monkey guys are getting swamped with calls and people just stopping by ever since the first episode aired. His 1951 Ford was sitting in the background of a lot of the "interview" shots on the first episode (it's a beautiful car), and my husband was in the second episode, fixing a gas leak in an Eldorado, but he's not one of the Gas Monkey "crew." They just bring him stuff when they can't figure it out themselves; he's got years of experience working on old cars (he is a lot older than the Gas Monkey mechanics).

I know Richard and Aaron have been out driving around looking for "barn finds" themselves, which is where the majority of the cars they're using for the show have come from. They've been working on the show since January and will be filming it through the end of July.

When my husband gets an old classic car to work on for a customer, it's more like what you're saying: a project that can take months to complete, because he has to find parts, or try to tweak something to work himself, etc. Every bit of it, from the motor to the seats, takes time. The TV show stuff is very rushed, and I know that's the only thing the guys don't like about it; they could do better work with more time.

Still, I have to admit, I got a huge kick out of seeing my husband on TV on the Discovery Channel this week! Just hope it translates to some extra business for him, because he could sure use it. If you check out our Web site, you'll see some nice old cars at the shop. He'd much rather work on the old stuff than the new (Web site link below):

Phipps Auto

PS: Some days, it's very cool just looking out at the parking lot of the shop.

post-53904-143139062625_thumb.jpg

post-53904-143139062887_thumb.jpg

Edited by PhippsAuto
add photo (see edit history)