Horse shoe trim install?

64R

When I got the car (64 Riv) one side didn't have the side horse shoe trim on it. I got the little clips recently and I'm not sure how to use them. I wanted to put them on the blades of the trim and then push the trim through the body holes. When I put the clips on the blades they don't go through the blades, just sit nicely on them like a hat.

So the question is, how do you "seat" them if you know what I mean, the blade has to go all the way through the clip for this to work. I don't want to just mash it through the car this way and just have them all fall off inside the panel. :confused:

Guest Kingoftheroad
When I got the car (64 Riv) one side didn't have the side horse shoe trim on it. I got the little clips recently and I'm not sure how to use them. I wanted to put them on the blades of the trim and then push the trim through the body holes. When I put the clips on the blades they don't go through the blades, just sit nicely on them like a hat.

So the question is, how do you "seat" them if you know what I mean, the blade has to go all the way through the clip for this to work. I don't want to just mash it through the car this way and just have them all fall off inside the panel. :confused:

If your talking about the side pieces in front of the rear wheel, and I think you are, I inserted the clips in the holes then pressed the trim pieces in place gently. If the clips are good they shouldn't fall through the hole when the trim pieces are installed, the final test result should be the trim shouldn't come off, at least not with out a fight..

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The clips are new but I assume re-pops so I don't know how good they actually are. It just seemed like you would have to push really hard to get the blade through it and you may end up just pushing the clip through the hole and then have it fall off.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The clips are new but I assume re-pops so I don't know how good they actually are. It just seemed like you would have to push really hard to get the blade through it and you may end up just pushing the clip through the hole and then have it fall off.

Did you get those trim pieces back on successfully ??

I just put them on tonight, been out of town for a few days. It went on like nothing, no issues at all. My son always says I over think everything, he may have a point, but I figure asking after you've messed up isn't the best way to go either :D

• Haha 1

The guys who own CARS were in Monterey with a complete set of new repo horseshoes which come with new clips. I'd give them a call and see if they're not selling them separately. For the money I was told they had to invest in the stamping equipment, I'd bet they'd want to sell as many as they can.

Ed

The guys who own CARS were in Monterey with a complete set of new repo horseshoes which come with new clips. I'd give them a call and see if they're not selling them separately. For the money I was told they had to invest in the stamping equipment, I'd bet they'd want to sell as many as they can.

Ed

Ed, you are correct (as usual! :)). CARS has the clips and the horseshoe trim! You can buy either the clips or the trim w/clips. I wasn't aware they had them. I'm starting to plan my repaint, so sure is nice to have these clips available. Now I need to find a competent paint shop that has done these 1st Gen Rivs before.

Old Buick Parts - CARS. Inc.

• 5 years later...