1938 Pontiac Roadster Color? Black or Blue?

Guest Johnboy650

Guest Johnboy650

Just picked up this 1938 Pontiac cabriolet 2 seat roadster in upstate NY. She just arrived in Oakland CA, and will receive a full resto! I'm thinking midnight blue or black. Love your feedback on the color.

Also looking to buy a pair of 38 tail light bezels and running boards if you have them! :)

post-66509-143139061203_thumb.jpg

post-66509-143139061242_thumb.jpg

post-66509-14313906129_thumb.jpg

I've always liked late-30s cars painted in light colors. Our local British club had it's meeting yesterday at The Antique Auto Shop Classic Collector Car Restoration Service, where one of the cars for sale was a gorgeous 1938 Olds Roadster Coupe painted a (factory, I think) cream color.:cool: I really think that color brings the lines out on these beautiful cars better than black or dark colors, which tend to hide such features.

Guest bkazmer

on shorter wheelbase cars like this I would avoid black - it tends to make the car look stubbier. An unusual and handsome car

Congrats, Johnboy!! Nice looking car, pick an original color and if there is a darker blue on the palette, you could go with that or as Dave suggested even consider a lighter, but correct color.

One thing I loved about my Packard was the beige correct and original to the car color, it got a lot of attention and I had a lot of comments about the color. Black is the most typical for this era, but I think people react well to something unusual as well.

What will the interior be?

Guest martylum

On prewar car colors-there were a number of metallic body colors beginning with the early 30s in all car brands. No need to limit yourself to non-metallic colors. See AutocolorLibrary for available colors in this era.

Martin Lum

Well, midnight blue isn't a color offered for your Pontiac but there is Glacier blue. Picking a color for a car has more to do with how a vehicle looks with a color than your own personal preference for a color. The perfect marriage is when you like a color and the car looks good in the color you pick. A example of this would be; my wife loves the cobalt blue metallic, but try to imagine that color on a 64 Morgan plus four! What a waste, that car is made for BRG!

I like that Pontiac in Glyndon green with a light brown top and brown leather seats, or Wononah Maroon , black top and maroon leather interior. Both colors really pop with the red pinstriping those cars are supposed to have.

BTW, those are the colors offered for your Pontiac that year.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

This will be a great looking car in almost any original Pontiac color. I would go with a lighter original color - I have a black '39 Buick Business Coupe that would look better in a lighter color. However, since it was originally black I am leaving it black.

Congrats, John V.

This will be a great looking car in almost any original Pontiac color. I would go with a lighter original color - I have a black '39 Buick Business Coupe that would look better in a lighter color. However, since it was originally black I am leaving it black.

Congrats, John V.

There was a 39 business coupe that recently sold in Ontario that was painted Bandelier blue that was a stunner.

D.

There was a 39 business coupe that recently sold in Ontario that was painted Bandelier blue that was a stunner.

D.

Sorry to get this thread off topic, but just Googled that color and couldn't get a sample - what's it look like?

Sorry to get this thread off topic, but just Googled that color and couldn't get a sample - what's it look like?

John: sent you an email

Bandelier blue is a 1940 Buick color. Not as dark as the 1939 Glacier Blue

Look in Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

John: sent you an email

Bandelier blue is a 1940 Buick color. Not as dark as the 1939 Glacier Blue

Look in Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library

I've got that color on my 39-40 ditzler chart as for both years. Anyroad the car was beautiful. Certainly a more variety of color for Buick and Pontiac and I guess all of GM from 1939 on.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)