1927 Clutch Won't Work

Old26Buick

I'm having trouble with the clutch in my 27 Buick standard. Can't shift without grinding badly. I have had the plates relined, new large coil spring made, new throwout and pilot bearings. When pushing down on the clutch peddle the clutch seems to throw in but can't shift only at very very low speed. Can't shift on the road. With the transmission out, how far should the clutch hub move in and out?? Mine moves about 1/4", is this too much. I have had it together and apart 3 times. NEED HELP.

Thanks

Are you shifting from first to second after only about ten feet of movement? Are you double clutching? Do you have heavy gear oil in the transmission?

Square cut gears must match speed before smooth shifting can happen. Buicks have a very low first gear, so try not to rev the engine too much before shifting. Also let the rpms come down significantly before shifting. Double clutching (if you know how) will help, but is not actually required after you become familiar with when your car will allow a smooth shift.

I use 250 WT gear lube to help slow the gears for quicker shifts. I suggest you slow down your shifting pattern and try again.

MARK

I'm shifting in about 20 feet of movement in 1 st gear and still grinds. Have tried all kinds of adjustment on clutch. I'm using 600wt gear oil that I use in all my old car trans and rear axles. I always double clutch which I learned back in the 50'S. I just took the clutch out again. I did notice that the metal discs where rusted quite badly and I did glass-bead them before I put it in with the relined discs from Fort Wasyne Clutch. Do you think the metal disks could be the problem as my shop manual says the metal discs should be very smooth. It likes something is keeping the clutch from disegaging. Usually I can figure thinks out but this has me stumped. Thanks for any help.

Steve

The clutch plates have fingers on the outer diameter and the inner hole where it fits over and into the fly wheel.

I found on my 1928 and 1930 Buicks that the fingers had worn grooves into the the area where the clutch plates slide in and out of the flywheel, This caused some of the clutch plates to grab and instead of the whole plate/plates moving in and out they were actually sticking and the only clutch movement was through the actual plates flexing.

Examine the grooves in the flywheel, they should be smooth. If they are notched by the chattering of clutch plates they will most likely be getting caught during operation and not allowing full clutch movement.

My solution was time consuming - with a small flat file I dressed all the grooves the clutch plate fingers slide in on the flywheel, they don't have to be perfect but get enough to allow easy sliding of the clutch plates ( in and out toward motor ).

After dressing the grooves I sparingly applied a graphite based lubricant.

From memory the inner circumfrence of the cliutch plates and/or metal plates also have fingers which slide on the inner hub of the flywheel and I also dressed those grroves.

Examination of the flywheel grooves will quickly identify if this is your problem.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

50jetback.

That sounds like what's is going on. In fact today I called Fort Wayne Clutch who relined the plates and they said the same thing. Tonight I tried one of the metal discs on the hub and it was hanging up just a little, so if they all held up thats the problem. Thanks for your Help

Steve