brown wire delimna

I have a 1972 Skylark. The voltage regulater has four wires, one of them brown. I have all other wires (alternater and regulater) hooked up properly, but the battery will not charge. Where does the brown wire go? To the battery? Ignition? Somewhere else?<P>Thanks for any help guys!<P>Brent<BR>bejara@nwi.net

I'm looking in my Chilton's Auto Repair ('72-'79) at the wiring diagrams, assuming its a 5.5 series 1D or 6.2 series 2D. It shows 4 wires coming from regulator. Labels on regulator are F,2,3,4. F goes to Delcotron. 2 also goes to Delcotron (63 amp models only), 3 goes to pos. battery(possibly via horn relay), 4 goes to a incicator lamp(gen. light I think)/resistor/ign. switch circuit. Hope that helps.

The '72 should be similar to the '70, first assumption! If so, the brown wire goes to terminal 4 on the voltage regulator and then to the bulkhead connector and then to the GEN lamp, at the gauge.<P>I don't believe thay would change colors between those years.<BR><P>------------------<BR>George C. Thomas<BR>70 GS 455 12.teens<BR>86 GN Low 13's/ high 12's