So why are you NOT going to the 2012 Buick Nationals/NASCAR 300* in Concord, NC?

1953mack

Dave,

Sorry to hear. That radiator has some long kasting results. I guess there was no way the police could check the salvage yards, bu I wonder just how far away the theives may have carried it before dumpibg it. We will miss your presence.

John

It was seen by a neighbor leaving on the back of a roll off truck. The neighbor only saw it going up the road from behind. We think we know who did it but have no hard evidence. Dandy Dave!

Im new here but have been a memeber onv8buick.com. I am not a bca member. I have been on fence about going car show as a non judged car. I have a 75 park avenue. first I need to know costs to nter. I live in raleigh nc. second I have a 2 year old child that we have to take so I need to know if we can come and go as need be for example get there at 12 and leave at 3. also would I be able to set up a portale gazebo over the car for shade and to set up a display I have. I have a air cushion set up from a 74 olds. I dont want my child or wife to sit in the sun all day. know its alot to ask

thanks

Im new here but have been a memeber onv8buick.com. I am not a bca member. I have been on fence about going car show as a non judged car. I have a 75 park avenue. first I need to know costs to nter. I live in raleigh nc. second I have a 2 year old child that we have to take so I need to know if we can come and go as need be for example get there at 12 and leave at 3. also would I be able to set up a portale gazebo over the car for shade and to set up a display I have. I have a air cushion set up from a 74 olds. I dont want my child or wife to sit in the sun all day. know its alot to ask

thanks

sent you a PM.

Distance.

Previously someone mentioned 1/2 the fun is driving there. I'd agree but there are limits (also have to drive back).

It's the 2,000+ miles one way from Los Angeles that is the main reason for not attending (distance was the same reason for the last two years). It's the distance which was one of a few contributing factors why I organized the Reatta Rally earlier this month in Los Angeles (within the All GM Show sponsored by the Los Angeles Buick chapter. Shameless plug of links if you want to see pictures: 20120603 2012 All GM Show pictures by Bushwack44 - Photobucket and 20120603 Reatta Rally pictures by Bushwack44 - Photobucket).

The BCA Nationals should be held in the mid-west. Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma - middle America as a fair compromise to all.

My take on Bushwacks suggestion is that midwest, center or the states mention may not have as many members on the coasts, so they may not draw a large number. i think the past that depended on local chapter organization cannot be compared to the new National practice which seems east, coast, central north, west coast, central south seems like a good plan, rather than geographic center of the country. Thant's my opinion.

John

hello

thanks for the offer I was motivated to get off my lazy bum and get stuff done on the car. I got a new exhaust system , swapped out pulleys on alt ran a belt on compressor and fixed the wiring work the previous owner did. The a/c does not work. The clutch engages but nothing and the thermal limiter started to smoke. imma work on the a/c next Monday and get 2 new front tires wed I pulled an 8 track player that was in near mint condition from a car that is gonna be derbied. I will clean it up and install it also. my gazebo is 10x10 so it barely fits over the car. the main hold up now is whether the a/c will hold a charge and blow cold. if it works then we will go if not we wont It sucks as I seem to wait to the last minute on everything

I'm going this year and it will be my second (I took my Dad up to Flint in 2003) I've been meaning to renew my membership for some time now, but I was laid off last year and honestly can't justify the $50 renewal fee right now. I did land a job recently and thankfully they are cool enough allow me a couple days off to attend. Rather than give you the multitude of reasons why I don't usually attend, I'll give a couple of reasons why I'm attending this year:

I live in Athens, GA and Charlotte/Concord is only about 2.5 hours away.

I grew up in Kings Mountain (30 mi west of Charlotte) and my folks still live there (free place to stay and catch up time with parents)

These two factors allow me to save more money on travelling/lodging and put the saved money back into getting my car finished.

My '53 was coming so close to being somewhat roadworthy - not judge-worthy. I was hoping to have her completely mechanically sound and 90% cosmetically finished and drive her up there, but doesn't look like that will happen. Either way, I feel it's a unique year for me to attend as I have made much progress on her and the Nationals are in my home state. I think I'll be even more rejuvenated to get her on the road after attending. I'm looking forward to meeting other members that have helped me out and that will be attending.

and the last reason, but not the least, is that North Carolina is an absolutely beautiful state with much to see and do. I'm always looking for any reason to visit home. :)

It should be on your schedule for 7 AM Friday in the Embassy Suites Atrium. Also see the postings on the Forum breakfast and adise Mr. Earl so they have a seat for you. And get info for the gift exchange if you wish to participate.

John

Guest shadetree77

Sorry to say, it's looking like my Dad and I won't be able to attend. We were planning on going for the whole event. Then things happened and we were forced to cut it down to Saturday only. Now, with the recent expenses I've encountered with old Lucy it looks like we might not even be able to attend Saturday. :( Perhaps I'll luck into some extra finances between now and Saturday, but it doesn't look good at this point. It's really frustrating knowing the Nationals are going on only 5 hours away but what can you do? Hope everyone has a great time. Take and upload LOTS of pictures for those of us who aren't lucky enough to attend. Have fun guys and gals!:)

Robert, sorry to hear about that. I've been following your "Me and My Buick" thread with your latest radiator & cooling system issues and I know what you're going through. You're not alone! Everybody driving to the 2012 BUICK ANNUAL ROAST, COAST & TOAST NATIONALS this week will get a chance to "road test" their cooling systems also. :)

Here's the latest weather forecast for today, Tuesday, June 26 thru next Monday, July 2, 2012.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139074246_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
deleted Robert's quote #59, added date (see edit history)

This time last year my goal was to be at the BCA with the Roadmaster. But, since then I have a new job. And, I've not been at my new job long enough to accrue paid vacation. And, the Roadmaster has been operating on the high side of the normal coolant temperature range. (I think I need to have the radiator cleaned).With the extreme heat we are having now, if I were on the road with it, I would be concerned.

This time last year my goal was to be at the BCA with the Roadmaster. But, since then I have a new job. And, I've not been at my new job long enough to accrue paid vacation. And, the Roadmaster has been operating on the high side of the normal coolant temperature range. (I think I need to have the radiator cleaned).With the extreme heat we are having now, if I were on the road with it, I would be concerned.

James

You worry too much :D. The Texas Road Warriors rolled through Birmingham Alabama this afternoon (104*). My 55 with factory air on high was running 210* (I have a gauge with real numbers since the factory gauge is pegged hot at only 200*...with proper pressure cap you can run 230*+ without boil over) I finally got tired of driving with white knuckles watching a pegged gauge,

Willie

I changed the title a bit....

Awesome time guys, I certainly see myself going to more. From meeting most of you to getting to see all the great Buick's and most importantly spending some good times with my dad.....it was an epic trip.

Its what you make it and it was made great.

See you all next year.

I imagine that I would have had a great time, and I still plan on getting to one some year. However, this year I thought it best to use the money that I would have spent to get my Buick back on the road so I can enjoy it with the family.

James

You worry too much :D. The Texas Road Warriors rolled through Birmingham Alabama this afternoon (104*). My 55 with factory air on high was running 210* (I have a gauge with real numbers since the factory gauge is pegged hot at only 200*...with proper pressure cap you can run 230*+ without boil over) I finally got tired of driving with white knuckles watching a pegged gauge,

Willie

I believe I have a 7lb. p.s.i. cap. Mine doesn't boil. The only time it lost coolant past the cap was after I overfilled the radiator. What pressure cap do you use?

I'm using a RC-6 which is a 13# cap as standard on 55 A/C cars. If you have the dome shaped top tank (vs the squared off one), you might be able to use that cap. It all depends on the filler neck slots for the cap (higher pressures require larger slots so that a too high pressure cap cannot be installed).

Willie

13 lbs., eh?

Wow!!

I checked yesterday. Sure enough mine is a 7lb. It is the dome top radiator. I'll get a 13lb. for it!

I drove around about an hour yesterday. I made a pretty good romp up and down a six lane expressway. And then some stop and go driving around at low speed in a residential neighborhood

It stayed on the normal line, although it creeped up to the high end of normal. It didn't burped out any coolant. After I shut the car off, I raised the hood and watched, I didn't see any coolant escape. (unless the post shutdown super-heat caused an overflow after I closed the garage door)

Alright, end of hijack. I'll start a new thread...........

I'm using a RC-6 which is a 13# cap as standard on 55 A/C cars. If you have the dome shaped top tank (vs the squared off one), you might be able to use that cap. It all depends on the filler neck slots for the cap (higher pressures require larger slots so that a too high pressure cap cannot be installed).

Willie

Willie

Wouldn't 13 pounds cause issues over the long run of too much pressure, i.e. at the gaskets and such causing a blow out? Maybe not. I would use the higher pressure cap for high temps and run a lower pressure cap for normal temperatures.

Guest Caribou

Once my car is running I'll drive it down. I'll have more than a few people to thank by then, and I always enjoy checking out all the show cars.