Carpet dyeing

DAVES89

I think I just came up with a color formulation for those of us with the Dark Gray interior. I went to RITS website looked up the various colors and settled on Pearl Gray.

I mixed it using one packet of the Pearl Gray to one quart of boiling water. It is double strength as the standard formula is one packet to 2 quarts of water, so basically I intensified the color.

I bought 3 packets from JoAnn Fabric [$2.29 a packet] and tomorrow I start on the interior of the Black. As I will be using a spray bottle which is just low pressure, I am just going to tape off the adjacent vinyl trim, remove the seats,and the console side panels and spray away. This of course after vaccuming the car real good.

Nic,

Based on previous postings I remember seeing here, and my own experience with the 91 (I replaced the carpet in that one as it was faded and had the brown spot syndrome) I think what we are seeing is the adhesive breaking down and seeping through the finish side of the carpet nap. It also may be that these are areas previously treated with a spot cleaner to remove a spill stain, and there was a resulting chemical reaction that occurred causing the spots to show up later. It seems that the grey and tan are the most adversely affected colors on the Reatta, but none of the colors is immune to this problem. It is worth noting that I have never seen this spotting problem in cars with "standard" carpeting, the Reatta is unusual in that it has the velour carpet.

I have a small spot forming inside the drivers side rear storage bin on my 88, and it is a burgundy interior. I've been debating whether or not to try and clean it off, as I may discolor the carpet in so doing. If I come up with a product that will remove the brown spot but retain the color fastness of the carpet, I will post it here. I have a couple of different things I am going to try, buy need to find a place to test them first so if they discolor the carpet, the test area will not be visible.

As an aside, blue, green, and red colors in typically are the most prone to damaging the color with cleaning products (or other chemical contamination such as pet urine) due to the nature of the dyes used for those colors. I was told this by a professional upholstery/carpet cleaner years ago, and I have found it to be generally correct. Neutral tones (greys, tans, etc.) seem to have better color-fastness properties though this is no guarantee.

KDirk

Nic the carpet in the Black is OK but worn. It has some staining, but I am not getting too worked up about it. I am going to redye the carpet and take what comes. Anything is better then what it looks like now. I thought about getting a different carpet out of a Riv, [and there is a nice one out at Gibson's] but then how do I address the rear deck as the color and texture is different? There is a Reatta also out there in my color but the carpet is in worse condition then what I have.

So having said that I just want this car to be a nice runner that I am not ashamed to be seen in. And remember I just use the Black for my winter car. The PO prior to the PO did a home paint job that turned out OK. I had it buffed out and it looks better, but it is no show car. So this car [bad as it sounds] is not getting new carpet but a redye.

I allowed the sample to dry and I think it looks great. If anyone would like a piece of this sample feel free to contact me.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Finished about an hour ago. Problem is the color. While it is a gray it is too blue. So I think I am going to go to the local big box lumber center and ask them if they can read my sample of the dyed fabric and a sample of trim and see what I have to add.

Looks like another coat, hope the fabric takes it well.

By the way, after taking out the bin lids, door trim and seats, car was pretty wide open. Removed the console side covers sprayed them and the bin covers outside the car. Sprayed the carpeting w/o removing any interior body panels or taping anything off. Any overspray wipes off easily from the vinyl.

I just did a good vaccum and sprayed.

Guest Richard D

When I bought this Reatta it had the brown stain on the passenger side and the carpet behind the seats was slightly faded, very noticeable when I opened one of the storage cubbys. I used a spray carpet dye from my FLAPS and it has covered the brown stain and has not faded behind the seats. If you like I will go by the store and get the name and color I used.

Richard

Guest Corvanti

i had some stains on my blue carpet when i got her. i've been using "Folex" for years on my other old cars. it took the stains out... never had a problem with the "tan" from the backing come up in the other cars. :)

however, mine is so sun-faded, especially in the back, that i'll have to do a "dye job" at some point. i've used "SEM" spray products in the past on one of my corvettes, and it came out fine. don't know if they make a color for mine or other reatta colors, but will research it soon...

Well I just finished the recoat. Looks much better, but I am not confidant that my formula would work for the Dark Gray color. But if you want the formula what I ended up doing on the recoat was one quart of the formula of the Tan dye color with 3 quarts of the Pearl Gray formula [Rit dye ready mix]. The tan color has a lot of yellow in it which is what is needed to "kill" the blue that is in the Pearl Gray.

As I was going over to get the color read I started thinking back on my days as a paint rep and how we had to learn the fundamentals of the color wheel. Blue and yellow make green which is what I needed to fix the first color.

Guest Richard D

THIS IS WHT I USED THREE YEARS AGO, STILL LOOKS PERFECT. I finally used some carpet spray dye in dove gray and it covered it and matched the carpet perfectly. If you go that route get a small stiff brush and while it is still wet brush the pile to cover all sides of the fibers with dye and keep the pile soft. I used two coats then after it dryed completely (about an hour) I vacuumed it. It looks new. It is made by Dupli-color and called vinyl & fabric coating. Got mine at Advance auto.

Richard I don'y know if you removed your respray involved removing the carpet. I would think that you did.

I was willing to pull the seats, door trim, console side panels and cubby lids but only wanted to work around what was left. The nice thing about a spray bottle is that it is low pressure. At any rate I sprayed everything with my bottle keeping a rag handy to wipe down the remaining trim to remove overspray. The cubby lids and console side panels were sprayed outside the car. I had a stiff brush [as you mention] to rub in the dye.

This second coat has dried down very nicely. The color is much better, truely something I can live with. I have some nice Riv floormats that I will wash and then dye as well.

While I didn't like having to put on a second coat the project finished well.

The time spent was about 90 minutes to remove the trim, 1 hour per coat and about 1 hour to put everthing back. So about 5 hours to do the project, skill level required about 3 on a scale of 10.

Guest Richard D

I used some of the one inch blue masking tape and strips of paper to mask the non dye areas, the nozzle on the Dupli-Color has a very fine cut off and amount of spray is not to hard to adjust. I did not get any overspray anywhere but kept a damp rag nearby just in case. The whole job, front & rear took about 2.5 hours including dry time and removing masking stuff.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
i had some stains on my blue carpet when i got her. i've been using "Folex" for years on my other old cars. it took the stains out... never had a problem with the "tan" from the backing come up in the other cars. :)

however, mine is so sun-faded, especially in the back, that i'll have to do a "dye job" at some point. i've used "SEM" spray products in the past on one of my corvettes, and it came out fine. don't know if they make a color for mine or other reatta colors, but will research it soon...

Does anyone have good product and color match recommendations for dyeing the blue carpet?--mine is pretty well sun faded.

thanks in advance,

Tom

I will be cleaning and retinting the tan carpet in the 'vert due mostly to fading. I plan on using dupont interior colorant (same as used to respray interior plastics and soft parts) just with more reducer added. Will clean the carpet first and then lightly spray with colorant, working it in evenly with a brush.

Doing it this way will give me the correct color as well as good color fastness since it is solvent based rather than waterborne colorant like rit dye. It may stiffen the pile of the carpet slightly but that is a tradeoff I will accept.

KDirk