X Body Frame Question

Foxlovescars

I have an Eagle symmetric two-post lift in my garage (all four arms same length). The extension arms of the lift do not extend far enough to fit safely under the correct jacking points of the x-frame at the front of the car. Putting the car backwards on the lift creates the same problem.

For those of you that have a two-post lift, how did you solve the problem?

Frank O'Donnell

1965 Riviera

Smithbrother:

First call I made. Eagle doesn't make any kind of an adapter. The contact I spoke with had no idea what a 60's GM "x-body" frame was. I scoured the internet for a lift company that sells an adapter and could not find a single one. Mohawk Lifts sells platforms that attach to the arms that hold plates you drive your tires on to, but that's the best I could do so far.

Frank

Guest rsmalling

I have a Benwill 2 post 9000 lb lift and the arms are just long enough to catch the frame properly if I have the car perfectly centered over the lift.

They do make longer arms for most lifts, that are optional to buy.

hope this helps

Guest rsmalling
I think these are the ones Jim was referring to.

Those are great! I might have to implement that idea! Thanks for the pic Cheeze!

Are these the same points a person would use if they were putting jack stands under the car? I don't have a Riv, but my '62 Electra has the X-frame too. I need to work on the rear brakes, but with the shrouded rear wheels I have to get the car up a ways to get the back tires off. I figure if those points would work, I can jack my car up using a floor jack under the pumpkin, place the jack stands under the frame, and then let the jack down enough to get the tires off. Will that be steady enough?

Jim and Cheezeman:

I am using your information and the pictures you provided to have a welder build me a single cross bar to fit between the front arms of my lift. I can match the frame lift points in the rear with the arms with no problems. I will then be able to use the 5" lift extensions that came with my lift in the rear to keep the entire X-frame level with the Buick on the lift and the front cross bar in place.

Thanks for your input,

Frank

P.S. Jim: I like having a two post lift because it gives me more access to the wheel wells, and the engine cavity to do the undercarriage cleaning on these old cars.

• 1 month later...

post-85010-143139119996_thumb.jpg

The first picture is the bar from the previous post in use on my two-post lift, under my Riviera.

The next two pictures are of a bar commissioned by a local restoration shop for use on x-frames when you want to remove the engine and transmission together. That's where I got the idea and dimensions for the single bar. The multi-bar set-up is very heavy and quite difficult to position on the lift arms. The car must be jacked up very high at the front end.

If anyone wants to have one of these single bars made, contact me via e-mail and I will send you the dimensions.

Frank

(Fox loves cars)

post-85010-143139119976_thumb.jpg

post-85010-143139119985_thumb.jpg

Guest rsmalling

I like it as well. I like how the pins drop into the lift arms. It looks like you only need 1? or do you have front and rear cross beams?

Very cool

• 5 weeks later...

You only need the one bar for the front. With the lift arms fully extended in the rear, they fit perfectly under the frame where the rear suspension attaches to the frame. In the front, you use the 1 1/4" pin extensions under the cross bar (to clear the indentions in the lift arms) and the 5" extensions under the lift pads in the rear to level the car out.

• 8 months later...

I have been contacted a number of times for the dimensions so I will post them here.

The bar is 4 inch square steel, 1/8 inch thick

Length: 51 1/2 inches long

Center hole to center hole is 45 inches

End of bar to center of hole (both sides) 3 1/2 inches

I gave the welder two of the 5" extensions that came with my lift to put through the holes he drilled in the bar

The extensions are welded on the top and the bottom in the bar

The extensions project through the top of the bar 1 3/4 inch

I still have to use a rolling jack to position each side of the front of the car under the bar before using the lift.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Frank O'Donnell

• Like 1