odometer and cluster question

Guest Jim_McNally

Spedo is driven by the sensor - if the connector or wiring is loose, the needle will jump around a lot. If the speedo needle is dead, it could be the connector, wiring (I had rabbits chew up the wire to the sensor in my 8V - no really...) or the sensor. Sensor is fairly cheap - might be worth trying out if the wiring all looks good.

Jim

Guest Jim_McNally

Yup - it's on the trans. Easier if you remove the air-filter box and some of the hoses first...

Jim

Guest Jim_McNally

My guess would be a break in the wires from the sensor to the cluster - that's all that's left...

Jim

Guest Jim_McNally

I just looked at the wiring diagram, and it shows two connectors - the oval one on the sensor, plus a square one (labeled "Rear of Battery") and then the wires go to the SMEC. So I'd check that square connector, and then try the SMEC connector - it's pin 48 on the big connector. Maybe try swapping the SMEC if you have a spare.

Jim

Guest My TC Toy

I have been thinking about your problem and now that you replaced all those parts for a second time, did you physically examine the plastic drive gear in the gear box. If I am not mistaken, I know it is the cas for other connections, when you remove the sensor the plastic drive gear stays in the case, and you would normally not see it. Now if this plastic gear has stripped out against the metal drive gear on the gear box shaft, the sensor will never send a signal to the speedo head. What you should try now is to remove the speed sensor, then remove the plastic gearing piece and examine both the plastic gear and the metal shaft gear. Hopefully I am correct in this assumption and you will find your problem.

Good Luck.

Bob

when you purchase a new one, i dont even know if it comes with a new gear? i removed the one on the trans in my backyard thats loose out of car and theres no way to grab the gear out not sure what id have to use to remove it if possible, on the A568 in my daytona the gear came out easily. i should have a gear thats good if i knew how to remove it

Guest My TC Toy

Sorry, I cannot advise you how to remove the plastic gear. I would think that it lifts out. It is always possible that the gear, if damaged, is jammed in place. Maybe someone else can help! I hope this looks after your problem.

Bob

i started to look yesterday, it looks like the part of the trans that the gear rides in comes off the trans,jut have to figure out how when i get home, it looks like its easily enough, but i dont know how im gonna do it with the one thats in the car

Guest My TC Toy

I don't know what you concern is (HA-HA), it was easy enough when the factory assembled it. I bet if you check a shop time manual, it would probably alloy 0.3 hours to replace it. OH, The joys!!!!

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Bob

concern more is that the bobble strut bracket and bobble are in the way and the item that seems to come out is a square and havent seen if it turns or what yet for removal. probly more like an 1hr easily for removal and replacement. the shop manual is almost useless on the 16V trans, best is it says if broken remove and replace, only adjustments that can be made on the trans are to the shifter cables. personally speedo and odo arent all the rage these days, long as i have oil, temp, voltage and tach i can more than drive well, the rest is a plus

You can run a quick test by spinning the distance sensor with an electric drill or old record player motor (harness connected with the key on) to see if the odometer and or the speedometer move. The sensor is just a simple reed switch and magnet. If it works like this than the gear in the trans-axle has a problem. I think the gear is suppose to stay clipped to the sensor. It might pop up if you can spin the half shaft on that side of the transaxle in the correct direction with the sensor missing. When i have serviced those it was from under the car by feel since it is a long reach from the top.

-Rich

OK looked at my spare 16V get rag, there is a lower bolt & clamp that mounts the gear/bearing assembly much like the auto trans versions do. Two more quick checks, does the cruse work, assuming it did before the speedometer stopped? Since it uses the distance pulses fed to the computer.

Do you have access to the DRB 2 or a SnapOn diagnostic tool? They can let you know if the computer is seeing speed sensor pulses.

I suppose in a pinch you could take a voltage reading at the cluster, as long as the distance sensor line is changing even at slow speed than it is probably functioning. Sorry, i don't recall which side the battery voltage comes from.

-Rich

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Sue Bell

Okay guys, I have owned my 1989 TC for several years now, and the speedomoter and odometer have never worked. The key is to never drive faster then the car in front of you :P and check your GPS if you need the mileage. Fortunately, all the more important gauges work. I could see that my car was running very hot long before the head blew lol. All better now tho.......