Removing wheel trim rings on '48 Chrysler

Guest markrush

Guest markrush

I need to replace some tires on my '48 Chrysler Windsor and I am not sure how to safely remove the white trim rings from the wheel before I take the rims to the shop.

Also, as a matter of curiosity, I was wondering if someone might know if the stainless rings were originally an option for the Windsor or if they were only for the T&C, etc. I have also seen pictures of cars with the rings a color that matches the body (including a couple of Canadian Chrysler ads). Was that a factory option in the states?

The Chrysler Windsors could come equipped with stainless trim rings like the T&C cars. The trim rings are different between six and eight cylinder cars-rim width ect. Some cars were fitted with white plastic or white metal trim rings too. The serial number of the cars determined the type of trim ring. 1946 or early cars usually had the white trim rings.

The factory supplied tire iron had a special metal clip/hook built onto it for easy hub cap removal. The hub cap needs to be removed first so the stainless trim ring can be carefully wedged off the rim.

Shown are some pictures of this special tire iron and some NOS factory stainless trim rings for an eight cylinder car. These Mopar trim rings are very hard to come by in excellent condition.

Nothing like NOS factory parts. They fit and look right.

post-62228-143139060425_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143139060428_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143139060432_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143139060437_thumb.jpg

C49er is correct. These type of trim rings MUST be removed VERY carefully otherwise they will "dimple" or bend. The inner and outer edges are very thin and cannot be used to pry them off.

I have an original hubcap remover as shown in his pics and I offered to reproduce it but there weren't very many interested in the idea.

Once they are damaged it is extremely difficult to repair them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markrush

I looked at these again over the 4th of July. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the trim rings without damage. My '48 Windsor's C-38 owner's manual talks about plastic trim rings you grab in order to pull the ring and hubcap off in one motion. My trim rings appear to be a very soft, thin metal, painted white. They would not peel off as illustrated. I have a hubcap removal tool on my tire iron but it doesn't help with the metal trim ring. I need new tires, and I want to take these off, as I want to sandblast and paint the rims first.

I know exactly which trim rings you have. I have about 10 of them - ALL damaged to some extent.

Try, very carefully, prying the outer edge off using your fingers moving around the ring as you go. At least this way they won't get damaged by using a screwdriver, etc...

Just be patient while trying this.

These trim rings may look nice but they are a bugger to remove without damaging them.

Good luck.

Joe

Guest markrush

Thank you, Joe, that is helpful. Mine still look good, but they aren't perfect by any means, so I don't want to damage them any more if I can help it. My tires are very old, so I'm afraid it has been a very long time since they were removed. I do like the white trim, especially because they look good with less expensive black wall tires. I know I could go with the stainless trim (these are available in reproductions) and wide white walls, but are there other kinds of trim rings for this car (15" wheels)? Do I need to stick to what is made specifically for Chrysler?

You can use pretty much any 15" trim ring as long as they will stay on the rims.

I have seen the thinner trim rings on Chryslers.

The repro trim rings you are talking about - are they thin ones?

I bought the larger (correct) trim rings (repros) and they were VERY expensive - but they are beautiful.

Joe

I don't think the 8 cylinder trim rings are being made anymore. I bought as he said the last 2 sets from Bob carlson through "Timber Tales". I'd be kinda surprised if anyone is making the correct look and type and fit trim rings for the 6 or 8 cylinder cars. The replacement real nice trim rings that were sold for the 6" wide rim Chryslers were held to the wheel only by the hub caps and had no razor gripping teeth as the OE trim rings I showed in the above photos.

I use thin plastic wedges placed around the outside of the trim ring to help force it up while using wood and plastic thin wedges at the center to pop the rings off the rim.

Guest markrush

Thank you, I figured it out. I have the wide white metal rings, that cover everything from the hubcap to the tire. I was trying to remove them from the outer circumference like you would a hubcap. No luck. Then I got a big screwdriver (16-18") and wedged it into the INNER circumference instead and they pried off with little effort and no damage. I can tell the past damage has been from trying to pry up from the outer circumference at the rim. Once I got them off I could see they were mounted just like C49er's photo of his stainless rings. for the trim rings, I found the big screwdriver worked much better than the hubcap tool (too small) or the tire iron (too large).

• 8 years later...

Great find of six cylinder MoPar trim rings!

I also have a NOS set for the wider six inch wheel that fits the eight cylinder cars.

I too am afraid to mount them and damage removing them. I have never heard or seen of a factory tool to remove them.

I do have the factory tire iron with the hub cap clip tool attached to it for removing the hub caps with out damaging the trim ring..

Edited by c49er
Spell check (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Those factory rings are a once life time find!

And boy do they bite into the rim once installed.

And so easy to put pry marks into the trim ring face. Bad bad bad.

You have to work the trim ring up from the rim working from the inside circle of the trim ring....carefully.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Like 2