1930 chev. timing

Guest Fairlaneman66

Guest Fairlaneman66

can anyone tell me if this motor has a timing mark? In our early review we didn't see one. When first looking with the radiator in place we couldn't locate one

Guest Commodore

The best place to get help specific to the 1930 Chevrolet would be to post your questions to the Chat Forum of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America web site. There are some very knowledgable folks there. They have a specific section for 1929-32 Chevys as well a section for Mechanical questions. You do not have to be a member to register, although I would encourage you to consider joining if you will be doing a lot of work on the 1930. That said, the later Chevy Sixs had the timing mark on the flywheel, have you checked there.

VCCA

1929-32 - VCCA Chat

Guest Fairlaneman66

thanks for the comments. I did send in to join VCCA 3 weeks ago. Nothing yet returned to me.

We searched CLOSELY for a mark, w/o the radiator there and saw nothing.

Guest 36chev

On the 36 (and becuase the 1929-36 engines were similar), there should be a pin sticking vertically down in the middle of an opening in the bell housing on the passenger side of the engine. It may be hard to see, but there should then be a stamped circle (I found putting paint on it made it easier to see) on the face of the flywheel to line up the pin with using a timing light.

Also, the timing may be fine tuned easily by using the "Octane adjuster" on the distributor after using the timing light (if the 1930 has and octane adjuster--not sure if that was a later feature...). Going by factory specs using the timing light, it seemed like the 1936 was retarded too much. Using the octance adjuster, the timing was advanced until it seemed like running the best.

I would highly recommend that you get a shop manual for your car. They can be found reproduced.