Wood grain painting

Guest 32mod55

Guest 32mod55

Does anybody know what method Studebaker used to woodgrain the dash & garnish moldings in the early 30s? I'm going to try my hand at doing mine myself, any tips, advice, book recommendations etc are most welcome. I want it to look as original as possible. I've googled a lot of sites but haven't found a method that really looks right.

Guest 32mod55

Thanks for the thread reference. I only check the Stude/Erskine/Rockne site so I don't see any other threads. I bought a Grain-it kit mentioned in one of the posts several years ago but couldn't obtain very good results, and the instructions weren't that clear. Maybe it's just my ADD, I'll have to drag it out and try it again.

I used the grain it kit and was really pleased with the results. I have the newer version though which is an oil based ink that you then stain with a rub just like you do real wood so you can get a darker richer tone to the rest of the lighter color so there isn't as much contrast between the base color and the ink.

post-43003-143139054262_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139054264_thumb.jpg

If you are going to hire it out Terry Frye does a great job and prices are competitive. He has had a booth at the Internationals. Might check with him to see if he'll be vending. He has samples.