1965 Clamshell Motor Rebuild

Foxlovescars

Guys:

Next item on the restoration list is my clamshell headlight motor. Would like your recommendation for an individual or company that has done this work reliably for you in the past. Motor tests as bad, both contact switches are good.

Thank you,

Frank O'Donnell

Charlottesville, VA

Jim & Pyntre:

Spoke with S & M Electro-Tech today and they no longer repair the clamshell motors. They can't get the correct parts for the micro-switches anymore. Greg asked if I would put the word out on the ROA as they still get calls all the time about repairs.

So now I am still in need of a rebuild service.

Frank

Guest Rob J

I bought a rebuilt unit on eBay that had a slightly longer and more powerful motor. Had it on the car for a few months, then decided to take the car completely apart to restore it. The short time I had it on the car, it worked fine. I posted a video of it a wile back working.

Rob J:

I saw the video I think you're referring to on You Tube from "Auto Maniac" (time 12 seconds). Very nice. There is also a video of the man from Rancho Riviera showing how to test the motor for proper torque. That's how I found out I needed to have mine rebuilt.

Frank

Guest relik65

I email with Larry from Rancho Riviera frequently. He can get you a reman motor for 500 plus your old motor.

Guest relik65

Wiper motor will not mount correctly. And without micro switches it will not know when head light door are opened or closed .

Guest Rob J
I email with Larry from Rancho Riviera frequently. He can get you a reman motor for 500 plus your old motor.

Ouch, that's pretty steep. I got my rebuilt unit for $350 shipped, and I kept my core.