re-finish wood inserts

rocky5517

Guest Kingoftheroad
Am new to the Riv Club/ bought 67 Riv and so far it's a pleasure to work on and drive- better than previous car- 76 Eldo convertible. Any thoughts on how to re-finish the wood inserts on the console?

Refinish ? or you replace it... I don't know about the 67s but on the 63 - 65s, you can buy wood kits to replace your old wood surfaces in your classic...

Have you considered replacing the wood ?? Might be easier.

BTW, Welcome !

Rocky, It could be that it's just the varnish or shelac that's gone bad. See what happens if you try to clean that off. Your wood may be good enough to refinish. Otherwise, it's not too difficult to cut some pieces from some verneer.

Ed

The kits for the 66-68 consoles were being reproduced. I bought one 2-3 years ago from an ROA Member/Dealer but can't remember for sure where. Think it was in CA. First thing would be to check the Riview Classifieds. If you haven't already.

Thanx guys/ since the wood itself looks ok maybe I'll try to re-finish. The coating or shellac or whatever is about 50% worn off. I just want to know what the original color looks like. I can stain it- but don't want to go too dark, as it's easier to darken than to lighten.

Will keep you guys posted- maybe I'll post pix .

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanx guys/ since the wood itself looks ok maybe I'll try to re-finish. The coating or shellac or whatever is about 50% worn off. I just want to know what the original color looks like. I can stain it- but don't want to go too dark, as it's easier to darken than to lighten.

Will keep you guys posted- maybe I'll post pix .

Definitely post some pix, I'd like to see how it came out...