code o41 nightmare

Guest buckeye

Guest buckeye

Long story short---my bad on buying car with "check engine" light, but I fell in l+ove with it. Since owning, I've had wiring problems with brake/turn lites-----fixed !! clanking noise in rear brakes---fixed!! bad braking-----fixed!! Code 41, cam sensor----not fixed after---two new pick-up sensors,,,,three new magnets,,,one new ignition module,,,,voltage between AB=9+ ,,BC=10+ no grounds/shorts on wiring from sensor to ignition module (this is a VIN C motor)-------months ago I just tried driving it and eventually the darn thing stumbled so bad I barely made it home. Put in new sensor and okay for a while then light again. Afraid to drive the darn thing. It is a beautiful '90 with 116,000 miles that I paid $5k for and put $500 and countless hours in------wife is absolutely ape-****---please help me or buy for $4500. Thanks, Bob in Ohio

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do you have any other codes?

Did you mount magnet correctly and allow JB Weld to cure before driving?

Why is eveyone having trouble with cam magnets? I have never had an issue with them. Also I find most aftermarket ones have an enclosed magnet. So go to a couple stores and find one that is enclosed. Also check you wire connections as the wire routing on it is in an odd.

I have never had a problem either and first one was done a decade ago on the blue. Did you follow the instructions on my site ? Do need to leave the sensor off overnight so the JB Weld (do not use JB Quik) can cure.

Guest buckeye

Thanks to those of you that did offer serious advice on my fix!!! However, it works out I was just impatient and when I took it out for a ride,,,,,,the light went out and it will not "read" anymore!!!! However, I made a rookie mistake (or old fart) and did not go back and recheck/tighten water pump pulley bolts and lo and behold lost two bolts,,loosened pulley,,threw belt,,and now have code 14. Thank goodnes the Reatta has "fail-safe" features that shut you down before major damage can occur. Will put on new b elt with all four bolts,,tighten good and be good to go. Gives me something to look forward to for Monday ......

Love my Reatta:)

Thanks to those of you that did offer serious advice on my fix!!! However, it works out I was just impatient and when I took it out for a ride,,,,,,the light went out and it will not "read" anymore!!!! However, I made a rookie mistake (or old fart) and did not go back and recheck/tighten water pump pulley bolts and lo and behold lost two bolts,,loosened pulley,,threw belt,,and now have code 14. Thank goodnes the Reatta has "fail-safe" features that shut you down before major damage can occur. Will put on new b elt with all four bolts,,tighten good and be good to go. Gives me something to look forward to for Monday ......

Love my Reatta:)

I'm not aware of a fail-safe to shut down the engine if the belt comes off. I hope the Crankshaft Position Sensor wasn't destroyed when the belt came off. :eek: