Sign in to follow this  
James Wright

1903 Olds

I have been contacted by an 84 year old gentleman whose Shrine Club has been given a 1903 Curved Dash Olds. They are well on their way to restoring this rare piece of automotive history and need a little help finding a headlight and a hubcap. Does anyone have a source for these. Thank you.

I might have a hubcap it you send me a picture of the hub, so I know it's not a reproduction. The original Olds curved dash didn't really have headlights, there were some sidelights that some of the cars had on the front curve.

Pictures of the car would help.

I spoke to this gentleman today for the first time. I told him the "headlights" were optional. He evidently has one but not the other. He assures me the vehicle is an original and not a replica. He has the serial number which he's sending to me. I will ask him for photos. Evidently the car belonged to a Shrine member who passed away and left it to the Shriners. I thought curved dash Olds were pretty rare and most were in private collections or museums. How many have survived? Thanks for all the help.

There are something over 300 cars that have survived worldwide. I think that there are hundreds in the curved dash Olds club. People realized quite early that they were a special piece of history and saved quite a few of them.

That's correct, they're very desirable, but not "rare" in the sense that only a handful survive. As NR states, there are hundreds that survived.

9 times out of 10 when this forum gets questioned on an early Olds, it turns out to be a replica built in the late 1950's or later, thus the questions...

Made from 1901 to 1907 and there are closer to 500 plus around the world. Hubcaps and lights are not an issue but ascertaining the correct year (if the serial number is on the compression release or tank that helps) will be key. The lights were optional and depending on the year were might be small Neverouts or a couple of other brands in the later years. A couple of vendors have the raw castings for the brass caps and there are still some that can make you parts for wire wheels.

As some of you correctly deduced, the car in question is indeed a replica. I am still going to try to help him find a hubcap and running light, if anyone can help. I will try to post photos of the light and hubcap he has to try and find a match. Thanks to everyone for your help.