Lost husband to cancer, left with '49 Sedanette...

Guest YELO4T9

Guest YELO4T9

Oh, where to start! I lost my beloved husband to colon cancer in November, and now I need to get rid of his 1949 Sedanette which is in a million pieces all over the garage and yard. He was disabled years ago by a broken neck and subsequent spinal cord damage, but it sure didn't stop him from trying to work on this car. Being short on cash, I would really like to sell it, but being in SO many pieces, I realize this won't be easy. I guess I'll just put this out there and hope for a lot of suggestions - process, prices, whatever. Perhaps the only thing I really want to avoid is "parting it out" because there is no way I could manage that. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. And I hope I have figured out how to use this forum... Joyce in Tehachapi, CA

Joyce,

I am sorry to hear of your situation and your loss, but glad that you have selected to use this forum to try to find a new owner for this ccar. First, these are quite desirable cars. It might take a little work, but you should be able to load photos, and I highly recommend that you provide some photos and use the Buy and Sell section of the forum. However, this too may work and perhaps we could get a Moderator to move the posting. In addition to some photos, you might want to provde a description of how "apart" the car is. For example, has the motor, or any other parts been rebuilt or restored? The photos and some additional information should help gain some interest in the car.

John

My money would be on that it's a SUPER (56S) model.

If you decide to try and sell this project by yourself, rather than having a broker house or car jock handle it for you, I would seriously consider putting a firm price on it and placing an ad in the HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS for the greatest exposure. The circulation numbers speak for themselves. This forum (< 500) or the BUGLE BUGLE (< 8,500) has very limited viewers that are interested in projects due to the economy and older age bracket.

Another reason I say this is that the 1946-1950 Buick 2-door fastbacks (Sedanets) and the 1950-1953 Buick 2-door hardtops and convertibles are now more popular & sought after by the younger crowd than the 1949-1951 Mercurys because of the availability, demand, and high prices of the stock and original Mercurys. Also, most of these Buicks already have the sweepspear side trim on them that you see on most 1949-1951 Mercurys. ;)

Just my $.03 worth.

Good luck and my sympathies go out to you and your family.

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Guest my3buicks
My money would be on that it's a SUPER (56S) model.

If you decide to try and sell this project by yourself, rather than having a broker house or car jock handle it for you, I would seriously consider putting a firm price on it and placing an ad in the HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS for the greatest exposure. The circulation numbers speak for themselves. This forum (< 500) or the BUGLE BUGLE (< 8,500) has very limited viewers that are interested in projects due to the economy and older age bracket.

Another reason I say this is that the 1946-1950 Buick 2-door fastbacks (Sedanets) and the 1950-1953 Buick 2-door hardtops and convertibles are now more popular & sought after by the younger crowd than the 1949-1951 Mercurys because of the availability, demand, and high prices of the stock and original Mercurys. Also, most of these Buicks already have the sweepspear side trim on them that you see on most 1949-1951 Mercurys. ;)

Just my $.03 worth.

Good luck and my sympathies go out to you and your family.

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Or she could go with the true sales powerhouse and list it on ebay which make the other numbers miniscule.

• 7 months later...