Rear Anti-Sway Bar for Riviera 73

Hello All,<P>I just bought an Rear anti-sway bar for my 73 Riv Chassis from Kanter. I haven't installed it yet because I don't have the body on the chassis yet. I need the weight of the car on the suspension first.<P>Has anyone installed an anti-sway bar on the Riv? If so, your thoughts would be appreciated!<P>pwilkens@herc.com (Paul)

• 3 weeks later...

All stock rear swaybar applications have boxed lower control arms. Basically they have a C-shaped insert shoved into the bottom side of the Control arm. I would recommend making some or buying some. I owned a '70 El Camino that someone had installed a rear sway bar on without the boxed arms and nothing happened. Its up to you, but heavy cars put more stress on their parts.<P>Tomsriv<BR>'71 Riv

Can't say I've done it on a Riv but I had a caprce cop car sway bar given to me. I had it on my 83 Park Ave until I put it on my 83 Olds delta 88 and now I have it on my 81 Park Ave and it made a noticeable difference in cornering. It took some of the smooshiness out of it and I don't quite scrape the door handles on the road anymore. And tomsriv is right you need the brackets to make it useful you may be able to get them from the dealer parts department from a car similar to mine and they might fit. They cost me $11/ea Canadian up here. grin.gif<P>------------------<BR>Lee C.<BR>81 Electra Park Ave (350 original)<BR>83 Electra Park Ave (307 that wont die)

Thats a good price. At the junk yard they wanted $25 a piece for the lower arms on a 73. I think an Impala sway bar will fit a 71 and newer rwd riv because if I remember correctly the part numbers are the same.<P>Tomsriv

Thanks for the info.<P>The swaybar came with brakets and spacers that go into the "C" of the trailing arms (2 each side).<P>Once I get the weight on the car and actually get the car moving, I will let you know how it goes. If I need to upgrade to boxed arms, I will.<P>paul

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know how this bar works and its part #. I have a 73 and after i figure out how to get a 3.90 or 4.10 ratio in it i plan to put a bar on it as well as convert the rear brakes to discs. Any suggestions?<BR>thanks Ed

As far the rear disc brakes go, you might look at '77 thru '79 Cadillac Seville or '77 thru '79 Cadillac Fleetwood. Both these cars came with rear disc as standard equipment and the have 5" bolt pattern wheels, same as the Riviera. Henry