Sign in to follow this  
T-Head

The Neatest Gas Station You Have Ever Seen

Does any one know what kind of pump this is? I have never seen one with the extra globes.

That looks like an early version of a lighted pump, as they appear to be lamps globes hanging around the pump. I bet that's a rare one to find today!

Seeing this station makes one wonder how those guys made a living when gas only sold for 12-15 cents per gallon? They had a few groceries on the shelves, that's true, but gee, how did they manage?

Wayne

They made a bigger percentage than gas stations do today. I know the first gas station I worked at in 1968 regular was 45c and the station's profit was 16c. Some years later when gas was 89c the profit was only 6c (different station). This was when neighborhood full service/garage stations were phased out and the big gas/convenience stores came in.

I don't know what they get these days but it's not a very big markup. Today they sell a lot more gas, and the customers pump it themselves and wash their own windows too.

post-65489-143139102099_thumb.jpg

This is quite an exceptional and modern Mobil station which was situated right near Disneyland’s parking lot in Anaheim, CA. The station, which was photographed in 1956, with its modern, single-post supported canopies was designed by the architects Whitney Smith and Wayne Williams. On The Old Motor we have more fine photos by the noted photographer Julius Schulman along with more info and links about it.