ALUMINUM BUMPERS

Guest Corvanti

Guest Corvanti

any updates since this?

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/question-owners-minty-reattas-182561.html

both my front and rear bumpers appear as a previous owner sprayed them with "rustoleum chrome" spray paint.

i tried some polishing compound on a small section of the bumper, but no change and no "paint" on the cloth i used - so maybe he didn't paint it?

just another thing on my ever-growing "list" of things to do. ;)

Guest BobbyBubba

My expierience- safest way to spot-strip any "painted" surface- is sponge brush on Brake Fluid. It easily eats through enamel, laquer, etc- without chemically "burning" the subject. Brush on or soak in container- about 1-3 hours- then soapy water rinse off. The longer the soak- the deeper the strip.

Guest steveskyhawk

Reatta bumpers can't be polished on the car with much success. I take spare sets of nice strait bumpers with all parts removed to a Professional Metal Polishing shop and they come back looking perfect. Doesn't cost that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in my motorcycle days we would use the simichrome polish on the aluminum side covers and engine cases. They would turn out looking like they had been chromed but it would take a lot of elbow grease and a lot of time. It would definitely be worth a try on the bumpers but I don't think it will be easy.

It would probably be worth removing and disassembling the bumper (removing all painted parts) stripping it down with paint stripper and then doing at it with the polish and a polisher.

You'd probably get the loo you're going for then.

Guest Corvanti

well, after experimenting with several suggestions, and some of my own "see if this works", i'm ok with what i ended up with on the bumpers...

in different places - i used the oven cleaner (easy off), but didn't leave it on very long (15 minutes or so), that looked a little better. tried "goof off" industrial spray. did about the same as the oven cleaner. after getting the residue off, i used 400 grit wet, then 1000 grit wet sandpaper on both bumpers.

cleaned that up, then went to mothers aluminum polish, took it off with mothers power ball, buffed a bit then cleaned all up with a microfiber towel.

the bumpers are at about 80%, except a little line above the exhaust pipe, and a few "rock chips" on the front, where's there apparently no aluminum left.

not physically up to taking the bumpers off, or financially able to have them sent off right now.

looks good for a "driver".

thought i'd share! :)